PDA

View Full Version : gasket material

smokinreefer
10-07-2003, 01:44 AM
i need to make a gasket about 8" x 8"
what is the best material that you guys have used, and where do i get it?

three dawgs
10-07-2003, 04:38 AM
depends what its for. I have bought gasket material. (rubber) about 1/8 inch thick from Lordco. They sell it by the size you wnat it.

StirCrazy
10-07-2003, 04:50 AM
what does it have to seal Shao?

Steve

smokinreefer
10-07-2003, 05:02 AM
kalk reactor.

kari
10-08-2003, 12:42 AM
Can't tell you where to find any materials in Burnaby but I do have a good idea what the 8x8 gasket is intended for. As per DJ88, neoprene works good ( and I agree, just couldn't get my hands on some.) In Calgary one could purchase o-ring material of various diameter and length. The butt ends could be super glued together. Not sure how well that would work since I haven't tried it. I used 3/16" thick food grade rubber (the white stuff and I forget what its called.) It is a fairly soft rubber, shouldn't degrade quickly or contaminate the water. I found it worked just fine. If you have a tight bolt pattern, a thinner or less flexible material may also work.

Kari

StirCrazy
10-08-2003, 01:09 AM
I would get a "O" ring that is large enuf to site square inside your bolts. this will seal better than any "sheet" gasket anyways and will probably be easyer to find.

Steve

Aquattro
10-08-2003, 01:11 AM
I would get a "O" ring that is large enuf to site square inside your bolts. this will seal better than any "sheet" gasket anyways and will probably be easyer to find.

Steve

Agreed. I tried lots of different sheet material, and never got good results.

Bryan
10-08-2003, 01:35 AM
I have some large o-rings kicking around. Approx 6" o.d, and 1/8" thick. I use these on my calcium reactor and skimmer and they work well. let me know.

ganowicki
11-05-2003, 03:06 AM
any Marine equipment store sells various types of rubber gasket material in bulk. I bought 12" x 12" sheet for $2.50.

ldzielak
11-06-2003, 04:13 AM
I have to say oring seal is the only way if you have any pressure at all. Any good autoparts place should have some orings that will work. If not look into hydraulics places.

Lee

BCOrchidGuy
12-15-2003, 06:08 PM
If you want to try neoprene find a fishing shop that does neoprene wader repair or a scuba store that does neoprene repairs. In the fall/winter most scuba stores will sell off old beaten up wet suits for next to nothing, you won't even need the whole suit.

Doug

kari
12-16-2003, 02:48 AM
If you want to try neoprene find a fishing shop that does neoprene wader repair or a scuba store that does neoprene repairs. In the fall/winter most scuba stores will sell off old beaten up wet suits for next to nothing, you won't even need the whole suit.

Doug

Sorry to contradict your idea Doug, but I found wet suit stuff is NFG for gaskets in any pressure type use. (Unless you could remove the nylon surface)

BCOrchidGuy
12-16-2003, 04:01 AM
ah good point.

Doug