PDA

View Full Version : 4 stage RO/DI needs changing but which filter(s) ??

kien
02-26-2010, 04:28 PM
So my 4 stage RO/DI unit was reading zero on the (handheld) TDS up until about a couple of weeks ago where it started reading 5ppm. I wasn't concerned yet, but last night it read 25ppm. I think now I need to look into replacing some filters but I have to admit I am a bit of a newbie with these RO/DI units. :redface: How do I tell which ones need replacing ? Or do I just replace them all? The whole unit is about 9 or 10 months old so that's how old all the filters are.

globaldesigns
02-26-2010, 04:34 PM
All I can tell you is when mine started to creep up on the TDS meter, I replaced the carbon and filter media's (NOT the membrane) and it didn't change much. I then changed the membrane and all was good.

So in my experience the membrane would be it, at least to start. However the other ones are fairly inexpensive, so you can always do them all.

xtreme
02-26-2010, 04:57 PM
When I started getting a TDS reading above zero I replaced the DI resin and that brought it back down to zero.

kien
02-26-2010, 04:57 PM
All I can tell you is when mine started to creep up on the TDS meter, I replaced the carbon and filter media's (NOT the membrane) and it didn't change much. I then changed the membrane and all was good.

So in my experience the membrane would be it, at least to start. However the other ones are fairly inexpensive, so you can always do them all.

Thanks! It almost sounds like I should just replace them all! :lol:

christyf5
02-26-2010, 05:14 PM
LOL, pretty much. Depending on heavy use or what the TDS is like going in, its probably best you replace all except for the RO. You could just try replacing the carbon and micron filters and see what you get for TDS after that but if its been awhile since you've changed the DI it might be a good idea to change that out too.

kien
02-26-2010, 05:18 PM
LOL, pretty much. Depending on heavy use or what the TDS is like going in, its probably best you replace all except for the RO. You could just try replacing the carbon and micron filters and see what you get for TDS after that but if its been awhile since you've changed the DI it might be a good idea to change that out too.

so in other words I should/need to change out all my filters! :biggrin:

christyf5
02-26-2010, 05:22 PM
LOL I guess. I usually start with the canister filters, then check the TDS, then replace the DI if it needs it. Lastly comes the RO if the others don't fix it. No sense in spending the money on a new RO if you don't have to.

kien
02-26-2010, 05:24 PM
LOL I guess. I usually start with the canister filters, then check the TDS, then replace the DI if it needs it. Lastly comes the RO if the others don't fix it. No sense in spending the money on a new RO if you don't have to.

Ya good point about the RO. I did read that those should last a while longer than the other resins. Guess that's what I'll be doing this weekend, hunting filters.

Thanks!

MrsBugmaster
02-26-2010, 05:31 PM
Membranes usually last 2 to 3 yrs. I'd change all but the membrane.

Piscez
02-26-2010, 06:03 PM
My Manual says change the canisters after 6 months and the others after 1 year, course isn't this all dependent on our originating tap water supply quality?

kien
02-26-2010, 07:10 PM
My Manual says change the canisters after 6 months and the others after 1 year, course isn't this all dependent on our originating tap water supply quality?

I think I remember reading that somewhere too. 6 months. I guess I'm a little over 6 months so it would make sense that now is about the time I should be changing them.