PDA

View Full Version : Cyclops-Eeze

Delphinus
10-06-2003, 04:43 AM
So who's using this stuff to feed their tanks? The freeze dried stuff.

Frankly ... I kind of can't stand it. Seems that about 95% of it just floats and won't sink (even if presoaked for a few minutes). So naturally most of it just ends up down my overflow. The only animals that go up to the surface to eat it are my shrimp, and let's face it, those little needle legs/appendages are more adept at grasping objects rather than filtering.

What little bit sinks, the fish seem to enjoy, but ultimately I think I have to question whether the amount that ends up wasted is worth the little bit the fish get.

I haven't tried presoaking the stuff for a matter of a few hours prior to feeding time. Think that this would be worth a shot maybe?

How are people using this stuff?

Jason McK
10-06-2003, 05:15 AM
I've had great success. I was told when I bought it (Allen @J&L's) to soak for at least 20 min. That seems to work well. I also use the old turkey baster to feed some of my corals. Works great.

J

Jack
10-06-2003, 06:13 AM
I like mine. Sure stinks though, eh. I see a few poylps grabbing it but I don't know if they can digest that big of a partical.

My clownfish and chromis go nuts over it. I just dump a bunch in and it gets churned into the water column, but i have 40x turnover rate.

Don't notice much of a difference in the tank yet but its still early.

Doug
10-06-2003, 01:21 PM
Same for me Tony. A lot of it floats, no matter how much its soaked. My chromis love it. Some of the larger fish cant even see it and have no idea what the feeding frenzy is about. :biggrin:

I have a lot of baby shrimp fry in my overflow rubble. I fed them some yesterday, {overflows off}. I noticed most of them had one, running around with it. Dont know if they ate it though.

Skimmerking
10-06-2003, 06:17 PM
yup its stinks i was at doug's house and man it stunk...

stephane
10-09-2003, 02:13 PM
for me I use a smal floating feeder from j&l so a least they dont finish in my sump. they sink but it take a lot of time a sort of continual feeding :biggrin:

the only fish eat it is my old blue damesel other dont even see it
on the other hand most of the coral catch them like popcorn

Jason McK
10-09-2003, 02:27 PM
I tried soaking it for over three hours. It never really sank. So I just use the turkey baster and shot it around the lower parts of the tank. Everybody goes crazy for it.

J

Delphinus
10-09-2003, 07:32 PM
I tried soaking it overnight (overnight!) and it made absolutely no difference.

I have been trying the turkey baster thing but it's just not very effective. The stuff just floats back up.

The floating feeder idea of Stephane though ... now there is a brilliant idea!! :idea: I will have to try that. Thanks Stephane!

Just2Bad
10-14-2003, 03:49 PM
I use it regularly and let it soak 2-3hours before feeding and only about 1/4 of it stay on top the rest float in the water column and all my fish goes crazy and even my mandarin take some... But it sure the frozen one should be better, just hope J&L or someone else import it some day

Son Of Skyline
10-15-2003, 06:05 AM
Where are you guys getting this stuff?

Aquattro
10-15-2003, 06:10 AM

Mason, J&L carries it.

Son Of Skyline
10-15-2003, 06:14 AM

Mason, J&L carries it.

Thanks Brad :biggrin: