PDA

View Full Version : something destroyed my whole tank, please help

hqgc
02-24-2010, 03:12 AM
over the last 2 weeks something has wiped out my fowlr tank. I have lost all my fish with the exception of my bluelined trigger who is not looking very well. The blueline is currently sticking its mouth out of the water, almost like its gasping for air.
Symptoms include
-cloudy eyes
-extreme discolouring and patchy "paleness"
-fin rot
I have tried melafix to no avail, and am now at a loss. All my parameters are good.
I need to make this better but have no idea where to begin.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
thanks

Starry
02-24-2010, 04:38 AM
whats your ammonia at?

The Grizz
02-24-2010, 05:05 AM
sounds like velvet to me, same thing happened to me lost all but 2 out of 10 fish.

Delphinus
02-24-2010, 06:52 AM
I've suggested to you two times to confirm flukes, have you done this yet? You have described three classic symptoms of flukes. I will bet any money that this is the problem. Get some Prazipro and treat your tank, but it may be too late now by the sounds of it. I'm sorry.

bvlester
02-24-2010, 07:13 AM
Its iether flukes or velvet treat your last fish with fresh water bath and the isolate prazi-pro works very well for flukes but there are other treatments that work. sorry to hear that you have lost every thing you should have listened.

Bill

kien
02-24-2010, 09:14 AM
ya, sounds like flukes. If you decide to give the trigger a fresh water bath keep a close eye on him. Make sure he keeps breathing and if there are signs of major distress stop the bath. A bath of 4-5 minutes should get rid of most if not all the flukes currently on him. You'll want to still treat the tank with prazipro though to get rid of any flukes in the tank and larvae. A word of caution, prazipro says to turn off your skimmer, don't do that! Keep the skimmer on and let it overflow into your sump (assuming you are using a skimmer).

hqgc
02-24-2010, 01:19 PM
I will try treating for flukes tonight with prazipro. I will update after work today.
thanks everyone.

hqgc
02-25-2010, 03:32 AM
okay,
just finished a 25% water change, gave a freshwater dip to the trigger and treated with prazipro.
Hope it works!
next question: skimmer on or off? (as per suggested by Kien)

bvlester
02-25-2010, 06:32 AM
Prazi-pro treatment takes 5-7 days keep a close eye on your fish, there is realy no other way to get ride of flukes in a system. you can do anouther bath tomorrow if there are still patches of flukes on him tomorrow,this would only happen if there where any free swimming flukes and youdidn't treat tank right away. My self I would have started tank treatment before putting the fish back in, by the way if you have flat worms the treatment should get ride of them also. So you have to watch for anything floating and ID it as flatworms give off a toxin when they die. Just tring to give you a heads up and not tring to alram you, just be watchfull.

Bill

Bill

Delphinus
02-25-2010, 08:08 AM
I'd leave the skimmer on but have it overflow back into the tank, if possible. That's what I did anyhow. It was basically unable to skim properly anyhow, but I figure the air exchange is still good for something. Often times when there's a large die-off (like from the flukes from the medication - or even say a cyano treatment), there's a large drop in oxygen in the water. So the skimmer helps against that.

Good luck with everything!