PDA

View Full Version : need help!

makana
02-24-2010, 12:38 AM
I have a 29g cube. My bubble coral has been looking sick the last couple of days. One side doesn't inflate at all and the other is half inflated. I added an open brain coral a week ago. I've been looking for pests on the bubble coral but there is nothing I can see. Amonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 0, phosphate 0, ph 8.1, alk 1.8 meq/l or 5.04 dkh, calcium 380.

I've never had calcium and alk go low like that before so I'm not really sure what I should be doing to raise them back up.

All I have is the bubble, brain, and a sun coral so I don't know why I have this dip. I'm going to do a water change tonight to see if that helps.

Any suggestions?

Flash
02-24-2010, 12:39 AM
can you get us a pic? do you have any fish or inverts that might be attacking it?

makana
02-24-2010, 02:46 AM
I'll try and get a pic tomorrow. I just finished the water change and the coral is all closed up. The tissue on the bad side appears to be receding and the skeleton is exposed. I checked the new water and calcium was only 400 and alk was 8.96dkh.

There is a hermit crab, cleaner shrimp, clown fish, and chromie. I havn't seen any of them bother it and none of them are new, but I guess it could happen.

Flash
02-24-2010, 02:51 AM
is there any other corals touching it?

could it have gotten stung?

makana
02-24-2010, 02:58 AM
I wondered the same thing but from what I read the open brain doesn't have long enough tentacles to reach.

Flash
02-24-2010, 03:05 AM
brains have a sweeper tenticle that can sting. If the side that is damaged is closest to the brain, I would try moving them atleast 4-6" apart for a while and see if it can bounce back.

I had a ric sting a head of candycane and it went right down the the skeleton and to me was completly gone... then 4 days later i noticed it bouncing back SLOWLY... but it has now come back!

makana
02-24-2010, 03:24 AM
I'll move the brain farther away just in case. I don't think they are close enough together to be a problem though.

makana
02-24-2010, 11:23 PM
should I be dosing to bring up the calcium and alk?

Bugsy
02-26-2010, 06:01 PM
One thing with bubble corals is if they are in a high flow area they will not open. Is it in a high flow area?? If so move it a bit so its not in direct flow.

makana
02-26-2010, 11:41 PM
spoke with the guy at the lfs and he said the coral was likely unhappy with its location. So I moved it, shut down the K1, changed the direction of flow from the stock pumps. This morning it looked dead, it was hanging over the sides all stretched out, but tonight it is back up and somewhat inflated. I also bought strontium stuff that claims to help corals bond to their skeleton.

Hopefully it makes it.

Bugsy
02-27-2010, 02:30 AM
Just make sure that if you are adding anything to the tank you can also test it to make sure you don't over dose and things are balanced.

Good luck with the coral it should be fine in a few days.

Aquaria
03-01-2010, 11:39 PM
Sry if this sounds dumb but you have been feeding it chopped up food every 3 days or so right? Mine shrivels up if i dont feed him at least 1 time a week

makana
03-01-2010, 11:49 PM
It gets brine shrimp when I feed my sun coral.