PDA

View Full Version : Water Quality

horteco
02-23-2010, 02:16 AM
This is my 1st salt tank. My question is.
How important is it to have ro/di water?
The LFS says I've got a good water source, (city supply) soft, chlorine but no chloromines. LFS says I could just use "tap water conditioner" but I'm hesitant, the more I read the more confused I'm getting. Most sites insist ro/di water only. I don't want to start out on the wrong foot, but I dont want to spend $300 - $500 if I don't need to. Your suggestions will be appreciated.

Chase31
02-23-2010, 02:57 AM
i buy RO water from a local store in my city. it helps with future algea problems + other problems... but remember theres plenty of amazing tanks out there on tap water.

George
02-23-2010, 04:47 AM
Get a used one. You can get a used one pretty cheap on this board from time to time. Do yourself a favor and get a TDS meter also.

imcosmokramer
02-23-2010, 04:58 AM
yeah, there i no "need" to spend that much money. A nice used unit will be of great help in warding off phosphate and nitrate issues.
________
DeepImpression (http://www.girlcamfriend.com/cam/DeepImpression/)

Reefer Rob
02-23-2010, 02:39 PM
Abbotsford must have good water! The water in our area has too high a level of nitrates for reef keeping (and drinking presumably). Perhaps if you are only keeping fish it would be OK. Check out Ebay, you'll find an inexpensive RO/DI unit there.

horteco
02-23-2010, 11:21 PM
Thanks to everyone who responded. :smile:

I thought the reason why people dont use tap water for marine tanks was the chlorine / chloramine.
So what I am getting from you guys is that the nitrates and/or phosphates in tap water is the major concern?

Ebay does have ro/di much cheaper.

Reefer Rob
02-24-2010, 12:08 AM
Impurities in general. Copper, lead, silicates etc etc.

horteco
02-24-2010, 12:30 AM
Ahhh I get it
Thanks Reefer Rob