PDA

View Full Version : Bryopsis problems

Samw
04-20-2002, 09:43 PM
The bryopsis problem just keeps getting worse.
Its carpetting the entire center of my tank and this is with me pulling out clumps every week or 2. Phosphates are about 0 and I've reduced photoperiod to 6 hr/day. I have 10 blue legged, 20 red legged, 8 left-handed, 6 scarlet hermits, 2 emerald crabs and a lawnmower blenny trying to cover 50 lbs of live rock.

I think I'm going to try getting some lettuce nudibranches. I read that they tend to die and disappear quite quickly especially after spawning. Maybe the secret is to buy the smallest ones? Anyone have good success with these slugs?

http://www.hyperdream.com/~samw/reef/2002-03.Album/TankCloseup.jpg

[ 20 April 2002, 17:44: Message edited by: Sam W ]

fishinaction
04-20-2002, 10:13 PM
The plague you have is here in Vic too! I have not found anything that eats it. I changed skimmers to something a little larger and I noticed the algae lost it's green color and was easily removed (by hand). I have found that stuff to be my hardest challenge so far. F.F.

reefburnaby
04-20-2002, 10:30 PM
Hi,

Sounds like you have a nutrient problem. You'll need to figure out a way to export the nutrients...and as you found out....skimmers don't cut it. Skimmers only remove specific classes of organics...but not all.

You'll need something more powerful and more efficient than what is commonly available. Basically, you need to remove the nutrients faster than the algae can consume it. Once bryopsis stops growing...its a matter of physically extracting the algae. I have been experimenting with Algae Turf Scrubber (ATS) and it seems to works quite well. In fact...well enough that the skimmer is no longer required. Algae turf is the fastest growing green algae...so it will outcompete most algae forms smile.gif However, turf algae only grows in specific environmental conditions. You can look up more info on this on RC. I built my ATS in my 5G surge bucket.

BTW, ATS is patented...but I think the inventors don't go after DIYers and non-commericial users. Royalties are charged if you are using it in a commercial coral or fish farms.

- Victor.

[ 20 April 2002, 18:31: Message edited by: reefburnaby ]

Jack
04-21-2002, 03:18 AM
Would a combo of skimmer, refugium, DSB, and carbon take care of it?

:D I want to prevent this rather than try and get rid of it later.

pocilipora
04-21-2002, 03:22 AM
Have you tried burning it off with a bit of boiled tank water and a turkey baster? It works.

Samw
04-21-2002, 01:54 PM
Good ideas. I'll look into the ATS thing. I'll probably try the boiling water trick next.

DJ88
04-21-2002, 02:29 PM
Sam,

The nudibranch you are talking about is a sea slug not a nudi. FYI. As well unless you have a large number of them in your tank they won't be able to keep up. I tried with two in my tank.

Even buying the smallest one doesn't guarantee a longer life span. They are a very deilcate creature and don't have a long life span. I had two in my tank that I acclimated for four hours. One disappeared after a few days. The second grew to three times it's original size and disappeared after a couple of weeks. Leaving enough bryopsis to grow back.

I have lowered the temp in my tank to about 78 in the middle of the day and kept it there to slow the growth. Then every two days I go in there and pull it out with my fingers and forceps. Regular water chages and a reduced photoperiod has also slowed it enough so I am winning slowly.

reefburnaby
04-21-2002, 07:37 PM
Hi,

I guess the key is to find a way to extract the nutrients/phosphates that you are adding in -- usually, from fish food and etc. So, you can use ATS or a bigger refugium or a super skimmer. Or a big combo of all them.

ATS has been used successfully by many individuals. Commercial versions of the ATS are few and in between because the inventor wants large royalties for use of the invention OR at least his patent lawyer wants large royalties for it. So, its a DIY project for most reefers.

- Victor.

Samw
04-21-2002, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by DJ88:
Sam,

The nudibranch you are talking about is a sea slug not a nudi. FYI.<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Thanks Darren for sharing your experience with the slugs. Yup, I knew they were slugs. I mentioned the word "slug" in my last sentence on the first post.

I might end up trying them anyhow on the same day that I pull out as much of the algae as I can.

DJ88
04-27-2002, 02:31 PM
Sam,

Another thing I am doing is burning the stuff. I mix a kalk paste like I was gonna nuke some aptasia and then use it on bryopsis. Other than removing the rocks it does seem to be working. I do think that skimming out as much as you can is another requirement. I am leaving my B3 running all the time to "over skim" as I see it. As well manual removal every day I can seems to help. Just make sure you drop as few little branches back into the tank. Its a long fight.. I know :(