PDA

View Full Version : Clown Diagnosis...

cwatkins
02-22-2010, 05:33 AM
Hi All,

We picked up a pair of clowns last weekend from a VERY reputable local LFS (sponsor on this forum). One of our pair had a couple white blotches on them, but we were assured it was just Lymphocystis. A lot of the clowns in the tank at the store had these spots. They are ocellaris captive bred.

Anyways, it hasn't really cleared up at all (looks worse), but the stress of moving to a new tank and the fact he's the smaller of the pair probably didn't help. Right now he only has 3 other tank mates. It'll probably stay like this for a month or so.

Just looking to confirm Lympho. I know there's not much can be done until the virus runs its course and clears up.

Water params are excellent (everything @ 0). Temp @ 79/80. Skimming and GAC. Scheduled for a 15-20% water change next weekend.

So, does anyone believe to the contrary about the Lympho? I'm not very up on fish illnesses.

Thanks.

shrimpchips
02-22-2010, 06:21 AM
You really shouldn't have brought home a diseased fish, regardless of the fact that it's easily taken care of - shame on the "reputable" LFS for selling a diseased fish. They should qt it themselves instead of passing their problem onto a customer.

It definitely looks like lymphocystis. I'd remove it from all tank mates till the lymphocystis clears up. Took my clowns almost 9 weeks for the last signs to completely go away. Clean conditions and good feed with minimal stress from other tank mates should help speed up the healing porcess.

ElGuappo
02-22-2010, 07:42 AM
i used "maracyn 2" fw meds in a qt tank and it was gone from my perks in 2 weeks. did continue the qt for another 2 weeks tho to be safe.

if you need a tank to qt in i have one (15G) laying around you can borrow.

cwatkins
02-22-2010, 06:55 PM
I was under the impression that Lympho is a virual infection. And viral infections cannot be cleared up with antibiotics.

I was thinking I could just QT him in a 10 or 15 gallon tank, and feed him garlic soaked food and see if it clears up in a few weeks?

shrimpchips
02-22-2010, 07:05 PM
Correct - most meds are useless in treating the primary viral infection; you could use them to treat a secondary infection that might result, but that's about as useful as they'll be. Your best bet is to keep them stress free in a hospital tank and let them recover there.

cwatkins
02-22-2010, 08:13 PM
So I think my plan is to put him into QT for a couple weeks and target feed him with something to increase his immune system.

Anything from the LFS I should be looking for?