PDA

View Full Version : Wow, nice Clams from ORA

Samw
10-05-2003, 09:46 PM
Too bad Clams are on the CITES list. There are a few I want to buy here. This isn't right. Captive bred and raised clams shouldn't be restricted from International trade.

ORA Clams (http://www.tridacnareef.com/ORA.html)

Canadian Man
10-05-2003, 10:10 PM
WOW!

The 2D and 3A are stunning :cool: :eek:

I agree with you Sam, It does not make sense to have captive raised/farmed animals on the CITES list. :rolleyes:

Quinn
10-05-2003, 10:13 PM
Who regulates CITES? Someone should write them a letter.

Come to think of it, what's the point of CITES applying on Canada-US trade? If they're in the US, obviously they've already passed CITES. So why do they need to be checked/certified again?

Samw
10-05-2003, 10:41 PM
WOW!

The 2D and 3A are stunning :cool: :eek:

Those are nice! My favorites in the pics would be 3D, 2U-A, and 3U-A!

Veng68
10-06-2003, 12:08 AM
I think they are still classified because of the threat of "cheating" I guess. Also Cities is used to track the trade of the endangered animals. I agree that captive or farmed animals should not be on cites........ but what can you do.

Cheers,
Victor Veng68

Stretch
10-06-2003, 12:25 AM
So why do they need to be checked/certified again?

Too waste our tax dollars? :rolleyes: :lol:

If they would relax the importing from the US too canada, the governement would get their share since people wouldn't have to smuggle them in.

Delphinus
10-06-2003, 04:37 AM
You know .. CITES may be a PITA but in the end I totally support it.

Basically we formally declare a species as "endangered" or "threatened" and then we apply rules to the transit of these. Whether it is captive raised or wild collected doesn't really make any difference to the rules of transit.

I guess maybe where there is "room for improvement" is when a vendor in the U.S. imports something legally, why can't that same paperwork be leveraged into re-export purposes? I wonder if the issue is that a lot of vendors simply can't be bothered to do the extra overhead just to satisfy some international customers who will probably only count for 5%-15% of their business anyways.

Seems to me we have some quality vendors in our country who would probably be keen to buy from ORA if they knew that we (their customers) were interested in that sort of thing. Send that kind of feedback to your favourite vendor!! Odds are they'll probably not jump on the opportunity just because one or two of us suggest it, but if they start hearing it upwards of like 10 times or whatever, the message might start getting through.

Samw
10-07-2003, 12:27 AM
Seems to me we have some quality vendors in our country who would probably be keen to buy from ORA if they knew that we (their customers) were interested in that sort of thing. Send that kind of feedback to your favourite vendor!! Odds are they'll probably not jump on the opportunity just because one or two of us suggest it, but if they start hearing it upwards of like 10 times or whatever, the message might start getting through.

Yes, I did Email J&L that I am interested in some Ora Clams. Hope others do too.

zulu_principle
10-07-2003, 01:32 AM
I think you need to get a price point so you realize the cost of these items from ORA.

Superior quality = expensive (also means better survivability)

At MACNA, ORA zoanthaids were $40 US for a 1" by 1" frag.

What do you think the clams would retail for ?

Wendell

andestang
10-07-2003, 02:20 AM
Yeeouch :eek: :exclaim: But you never know - sure are awsome :mrgreen:

Samw
10-07-2003, 02:40 AM
I think you need to get a price point so you realize the cost of these items from ORA.

Superior quality = expensive (also means better survivability)

At MACNA, ORA zoanthaids were $40 US for a 1" by 1" frag.

What do you think the clams would retail for ?

Wendell

I told them I'd pay 50% more than their current wild clams. But after some quick browsing, online stores are pricing ORA clams about the same as wild clams or less. Actually, I had a very hard time finding wild clams.

For example, Maxima Clams.

Tridacna Reefs http://www.tridacnareef.com

Wild 4" Ultra $100
ORA 3" First grade $48
ORA 3" Ultra $56
ORA <3" First grade $25-$40

CoralFragz http://www.coralfragz.com/clams.html

Aquacultured 3" First grade $36-$49
Aquacultured 3" Ultra $46-$82

Clams Direct http://www.clamsdirect.com/cart/customer/home.php?cat=10

Aquacultured 3" First grade $39-$49
Aquacultured 3" Ultra grade $69-$89

Marine Depot http://www.marinedepotlive.com/1253554.html

Wild medium first grade $80
Wild medium Ultra $114

zulu_principle
10-07-2003, 03:20 AM
Sam

Are those costs delivered to Canada ?

Wendell

smokinreefer
10-07-2003, 03:27 AM
i dont think you can really compare those prices to what we pay here...
the availability and market in the US, just makes the industry here a completely different animal.

i've seen just as impressive looking clams in our LFSs.

or are you looking strictly for aquacultured clams?

StirCrazy
10-07-2003, 04:45 AM
Sam from what I have found throught inquiries for buying a single live item from the US is that you can double the price then convert it to canadian bucks. after that you can add the cost of a permit. that 50.00US clam would end up being about 200.00 to 300.00 cdn delivered.

the slam gets a little easyer if you are buying bulk but there are still a lot of hidden costs we don't think about.

Steve

Samw
10-07-2003, 05:12 AM
Sam

Are those costs delivered to Canada ?

Wendell
Sam from what I have found throught inquiries for buying a single live item from the US is that you can double the price then convert it to canadian bucks. after that you can add the cost of a permit. that 50.00US clam would end up being about 200.00 to 300.00 cdn delivered.

the slam gets a little easyer if you are buying bulk but there are still a lot of hidden costs we don't think about.

Steve

Guys, the point isn't about the price of clams in Canada. Shipping for either wild or ORA should be the same.

If it costs a store $20 for a wild one shipped to Canada, wouldn't it be the same $20 for the ORA one shipped to Canada if the price of the clams were the same? If it costs me $300 to ship 1 wild clam, isn't it the same $300 to ship the ORA one? Am I missing something?

The stores are going to pay the same for shipping whether they order ORA or wild (assuming origin is the same). Why would the stores have to pay extra shipping for the ORA clams? I don't think they do at all. So therefore, they could order ORA clams and the prices to us should be the same as the prices of the wild ones.

Samw
10-07-2003, 05:21 AM
i dont think you can really compare those prices to what we pay here...
the availability and market in the US, just makes the industry here a completely different animal.

i've seen just as impressive looking clams in our LFSs.

or are you looking strictly for aquacultured clams?

Smokin, I'm not comparing US to Canadian prices. I'm comparing US to US prices. I'm saying wild clams are the same price as ORA ones in the US. Those prices I listed are comparing wild prices vs ORA prices in US dollars.

smokinreefer
10-07-2003, 05:25 AM
ahhh...OK.

Samw
10-07-2003, 05:31 AM
ahhh...OK.

Yeah, I could be completely wrong about wild vs ORA costs but based on retail price in the US, they look close. So, what I'm getting at is that since I haven't seen first color grade Maximas at J&L yet this year, maybe supply is low or their supplier is having problems. In that case, why don't they order from ORA since it doesn't appear to me that there is much of a difference in cost. If there is, it appears to be a small difference since US prices between wild and ORA are similar.

I know you're looking for some clams. If you find some nice ones nearby, let me know.

smokinreefer
10-07-2003, 06:22 AM
a little birdy told me JL should be getting in some ultra maxs soon.

seacare usually has some nice clams in stock.

BigAls got a large shipment of clams in a few weeks ago, but sadly, that time i forgot what the little birdy said and by the time i made my way out there, there was slim pickins.

it seems like its all about being at the right place at the right time :rolleyes:

that being said, what am i doing...
errr, i mean there are no clams in vancouver, there are no clams in vancouver! :lol:

Samw
10-07-2003, 06:43 AM
a little birdy told me JL should be getting in some ultra maxs soon.

seacare usually has some nice clams in stock.

BigAls got a large shipment of clams in a few weeks ago, but sadly, that time i forgot what the little birdy said and by the time i made my way out there, there was slim pickins.

it seems like its all about being at the right place at the right time :rolleyes:

that being said, what am i doing...
errr, i mean there are no clams in vancouver, there are no clams in vancouver! :lol:

I should be more specific. By nearby, I meant Lower Mainland. :lol: Oh, not to complain or seem ungrateful but also I'm looking for a clam less than $100. :smile: I know that's pushing it. Big Al's I've seen. Again, not to seem cheap, but I'm looking for something like the ones I use to have. Bright Blue, less than $100, like the ones I use to have. :lol: :lol: Seacare does seem to be the best bet at this moment.

smokinreefer
10-07-2003, 06:53 AM
Bright Blue, less than $100, like the ones I use to have. :lol: :lol:

ahhh... youre lookin for them wee little ones.

smokinreefer
10-07-2003, 06:55 AM
i dont know if its availability or what, but you used to see an very large selection of 2" clams. now they are all huge, and with their larger size, comes along their respective larger price tags!

Samw
10-07-2003, 07:36 AM

Steve

Steve, I understand your post now. You were replying to my first post. Gotcha. But the complaint in my first post was about the CITIES permit and why it sucks that I can't buy it unless I get the expensive permit. So yes, it is understood that it would be hundreds to get one from the US. Thus, my opening remark that "Too bad Clams are on the CITES list".

Samw
10-08-2003, 07:24 AM
Good news. J&L will (most likely) carry ORA clams in the new store.