PDA

View Full Version : help i think

Aquaria
02-21-2010, 09:56 PM
ok well have a 46g bow running since dec 16 thats when i got my cuc in. well last night i started with seachem's "reef plus" vitamins and amino acids and when i got up this morning i noticed a strange smell coming from the tank, its nice outside so windows are open and blowing the air down the hall wheni got closer i pinpointed the smell its like standing on the beach when the surf is coming in i believe its the dead surf smell only been to the ocean once so im not sure. ill be posting perams tonight, as i have to go out for a bit. but if anyone has had an experience with reef plus or know what this smell is ill take any advice till i can post perams

Aquaria
02-21-2010, 10:12 PM
i decided this is more important so i canceled and ill post perams in about 30 min

Aquaria
02-21-2010, 11:31 PM
amm 0
nitrite 0-0.1
nitrate about 2-3
phos 0
calc 460
alk 150
ph 8.1
mag 1380
salt 1.025
i use seachem denitrate and pura phoslock i dont dose calcium only alk i know its a bit low been neglecting doseing it since my waterchange last sat
cant think of anything else all live stock 2 occ clowns and cuc and corals all fine my flow is about 16x sumpless. i was battleing different algaes and then got denitrate and phoslock since then algeas have been going away and coralline has taken off growing on everything

Aquaria
02-22-2010, 12:11 AM
its not a bad smell like when i was cycleing it but strange this happen to anyone else is it the algae dieing off but since perams are good and livestock is fine then i guess i hate the smell of saltwater tanks now smelled good before??

chris88
02-22-2010, 05:01 AM
i use reef plus and it does smell but i have never noticed a smell coming form the tank after the use. I grew up on the beach and my reef smells nothing like it lol. My reef doesn't have a smell, the ocean can smell very bad at times depending on the tide.

Aquaria
02-22-2010, 10:00 AM
well i must be going crzy cuz it smells like it did yesterday mabey algae die off. ill just keep an eye on it

Snaz
02-22-2010, 12:37 PM
You should not be doing ANY dosing of any kind until your tank is well established. The point of dosing is to replace minerals that your inhabitants consume faster than your regular water changes can handle.

If your doing proper water changes your tank will get all it needs.

bvlester
02-22-2010, 04:21 PM
you are doseing and you maybe losing some of the stuff on your rock like good worms do a water change and do not add anything else. Your rock maybe doing a cure that should not be happening. I realy don't know what it is your tank is doing but I am guessing. doing a water change will not hurt anything. I have gotton this sort of smell and it was when something died and I didn't have enough flow in the tank. Flow should not matter in the case of some thing dieing.

Bill

Aquaria
02-23-2010, 10:19 AM
Well I posted lastnight that the smell went away I can account for all live stock and coral looking great tested again when I got home today and there same results. The only thing I dose is alk I don't have to add anything else just heard reef plus was good for livestock more color and growth dident think it was anything big I won't dose the vitamins and amino acids till I figure it out but untill u tell me how to keep alkalunity up with out dosing then I can't stop