PDA

View Full Version : water quality

tinman
02-20-2010, 04:34 AM
alright guys here is the age old question how do i reduce algae in my reef tank i don't have an ro system, water quality tests good, i perform water changes on a regular basis and i am using rowa phos in a reactor and carbon in the sump. is calgary water really that bad? or do i have a nitrate /phos issue the tank is lightly stocked and is mostly coral. i have to clean the glass every 2-3 days the tank is a rsm130d, any ideas would be welcome!

Seamazter
02-20-2010, 04:49 AM
How old are your lights?
If your using the PC lights and they are 8months old, they may be causing the algae.

viperfish
02-20-2010, 04:54 AM
With the 10K bulb in the RSM you are bound to get some algae on the glass. Every 2-3 days is not that bad.

tinman
02-20-2010, 05:09 AM
yeah i've been looking at the light thing i've got about 4-5 months on them so maybe i'll try that next should i stick with the 50/50 bulbs?

tinman
02-20-2010, 05:11 AM
With the 10K bulb in the RSM you are bound to get some algae on the glass. Every 2-3 days is not that bad.
well is a good healthy crop normal to the point where it is kinda difficult to see the animals?

kien
02-20-2010, 05:20 AM
is the only algae you have issue with the film algae on your glass? 2-3 days worth of cleaning glass (especially using tap water) is normal in my opinion. Heck, even with RO water I was doing it every 3 days or so. I would not worry about it. That's why magfloats sell so well and why everyone has one :lol: Anyway, to reduce it (ie, extend the time you need to clean the glass), you can try nutrient reducing media like those new fangled NP Reducing BioPellets :biggrin:

Now, if you had other sorts of algae growing in our tank like hair algae, bubble algae, turf algae, red algae, etc, etc.. then I would be a little concerned.

Oh, and another thing, is your tank getting direct sunlight? That wonderful yellow sun of ours does a great job of growing algae as well. At least it does in my tank. Again, depressing your nutrients further will help with that if you can't avoid direct sunlight.

viperfish
02-20-2010, 05:33 AM
I found it very difficult to maintain low nutrients in the RSM. I ended up putting a 10 gallon sump/fuge in the cabinet and from that point on I had no issues at all.
http://i945.photobucket.com/albums/ad292/roskinner/IMG_0830.jpg
http://i945.photobucket.com/albums/ad292/roskinner/IMG_0829.jpg

tinman
02-20-2010, 06:10 AM
I found it very difficult to maintain low nutrients in the RSM. I ended up putting a 10 gallon sump/fuge in the cabinet and from that point on I had no issues at all.
http://i945.photobucket.com/albums/ad292/roskinner/IMG_0830.jpg
http://i945.photobucket.com/albums/ad292/roskinner/IMG_0829.jpg

well i was also kickin that idea around as well did you build the sump?

viperfish
02-20-2010, 06:15 AM
I did. It's a standard 10 Gallon, some acrylic from Home Depot and few hours of putting it all together. Makes a world of difference.

tinman
02-20-2010, 06:16 AM
is the only algae you have issue with the film algae on your glass? 2-3 days worth of cleaning glass (especially using tap water) is normal in my opinion. Heck, even with RO water I was doing it every 3 days or so. I would not worry about it. That's why magfloats sell so well and why everyone has one :lol: Anyway, to reduce it (ie, extend the time you need to clean the glass), you can try nutrient reducing media like those new fangled NP Reducing BioPellets :biggrin:

Now, if you had other sorts of algae growing in our tank like hair algae, bubble algae, turf algae, red algae, etc, etc.. then I would be a little concerned.

Oh, and another thing, is your tank getting direct sunlight? That wonderful yellow sun of ours does a great job of growing algae as well. At least it does in my tank. Again, depressing your nutrients further will help with that if you can't avoid direct sunlight.
well i will say that mr sun did have his way once upon a time but i do have a couple of tufts hair algae on the rocks that need regular cropping even the old tooth brush couldn't keep it away! have you used the bio pellets i've only been using the rowa phos.

tinman
02-20-2010, 06:22 AM
[QUOTE=medhatreefguy;494093]I did. It's a standard 10 Gallon, some acrylic from Home Depot and few hours of putting it all together. Makes a world of difference.[/QUOT
do you happen to have any dimensions on that sump build

kien
02-20-2010, 06:41 AM
have you used the bio pellets i've only been using the rowa phos.

Yes, I have been running the biopellets since January 1 of this year. My nitrates before the pellets was sitting at 8ppm. Four weeks later it dropped to zero. I used to run Rowaphos in a TLF phosban reactor and even had some chaeto in a refugium. Stopped using Rowaphos once I started the pellets and I gave away the last of my chaeto a week ago. Just running the pellets now for nutrient reduction. I have a lot of fish and other mouths to feed in my tank. Highly recommend!