PDA

View Full Version : PC lighting without ballast

Dez
04-19-2002, 01:37 PM
Hey guys... I just made a dual PC light fixture for under 10 bucks for my refugium...

I bought a couple of regular sockets $3 each...
an extension cord for wire $2
couple of bolts $1

That's 7 dollars...

I mounted it in white rain gutter (eavesthrough) plastic and cut it to sit right on top of my refugium...

The bulbs are the more expensive part though.. Each bulb was $19 (but I used my Canadian Tire money)... the bulbs are screw in bulbs not needing a ballast made my GE, it is the daylight bulb and on the box it says 6500K as colour temperature. There are cheap bulbs $6.99 but the colour was pretty warm. This is a quick easy way to make a light without much heat...

I don't know anything about lumens or anything but it says it puts out 950 lumens. It's only 15 watts but says it's equivalent to a 60 watt bulb...it's one of those energy saver bulbs...

What do you guys think? A cost effective everygy efficient way to have lighting... good for 100 000 hours...

des

[ 19 April 2002, 09:39: Message edited by: Dez ]

goldrimtang
04-19-2002, 01:52 PM
I was thinking in doing pretty much the same to put some lights on my sump and grow algae there.
I read of a few people with similar setups, so seems that it's not a totally crazy way to do it.
I have a question, how do you keep moisture out and reduce the risk of water getting on the wires ?

Dez
04-19-2002, 01:57 PM
Emil...

I just made it yesterday...my system is not running yet... but there hasn't been a problem with my other fixtures in the past. there is not much exposed wire at all...except under the screw where you screw the wire in.. I guess you could have glass tops...but I prefer not.. I just clean my bulbs regularly..

des

FishGeek
04-19-2002, 02:41 PM
put a dab of silicon on all exposed wire ends. That will keep the moisture out. Or just go crazy with the electrical tape!

Simon

Samw
04-19-2002, 05:32 PM
Someone did something similar on reef central:

http://www.reefcentral.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=71801

Delphinus
04-19-2002, 06:25 PM
Seen this done a few times. Yes, very cost effective. I'm not crazy on the colour but certainly for what you're using them for it's a good fit.

Now, if only they could come out with an actinic version. ;)

Jack
04-19-2002, 06:36 PM
Whoa, Im going to hav to check into this. I was just thinking of how I was going to do some cheap fuge lights. They are good on power too!

Mak
04-20-2002, 01:55 AM
On my 20g I use two Panasonic 23 watt 5000k PC's(lights don't look green or yellow at all) with 1420 lumens and compared to 90 watt. These bulbs were $19.99 and are guaranted for 18 months or bulb will be replaced over the counter if they stop working or anything besides being shattered. These PC's are SWEET!!! Definatly good for NANO's and refugiums. ;)

Bob I
04-22-2002, 05:44 PM
My Communications teacher at Olds College assured the class that the most commonly misspelled word in the English language is "occurrence), but I feel that on SW bulletin boards it is "definitely", it usually comes out as definatly, and "fluorescent", it seems to come out as flourescent, or sometimes as florecent. What do you guys think? :D :D :D
Bob
sometimes called "the grammar police"

Tau2301
04-22-2002, 06:23 PM
More like the "Grammar Slammer" for the old show "House of Frightenstein."

goldrimtang
04-22-2002, 08:02 PM
Where did you guys got all those cool PC bulbs ?
I was at Home Depot and Canadian Tire this weekend and I couldn't find any of those. For 'Compact Fluorescent' none of them was specifying the temperature, just the watts.
The closest I got was a Philips PC 15w 'Daylight'. Equivalent to 55W but no word about the Kelvin.

Bryan
04-22-2002, 10:19 PM
The screw in mogul based bulb is available at Home Depot on Terminal. Comes in a blue and white package and is marked as daylight. Made by GE.

Originally posted by Emil:
Where did you guys got all those cool PC bulbs ?
.<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">

Mak
04-23-2002, 08:18 AM
Emil go to Albrite in Poco they have a pretty good selection like my PC's and I belive they have some kind of 13w or so 6700k or so PC's for like $13-$14 ;)

[ 23 April 2002, 04:22: Message edited by: TRIGGER_HAPPY ]

FishGeek
04-26-2002, 11:54 AM
At my work yesterday (I work at revy) I discovered a new bulb we got in. It is the same ad dez was describing, grow light 20w with ballest in mogal base. But the cool part was that in came in it's own pendant reflector. I plugged it in and it was very bright. I'd say brighter than a 100w incandesent bulb and the color was fairly white. The price was $26 but i get employee discount. I figure these would make a great pendant fixture for a sump or refuge.

Simon

CHEAPREEF
04-26-2002, 12:05 PM
Simon, i've been waiting for you guys to get those in. Are they going to be a regular stocking item? Cause i whould like to get a couple next time your working.

Clinton

FishGeek
04-27-2002, 04:20 AM
clinton. I work sat. 9:30 to 6:00. come see me if you have time.

Simon