PDA

View Full Version : Anybody have...

Aquattro
10-04-2003, 03:50 PM
...a picture, preferably a macro shot, of their CO2 regulator's mounting arm surface? I need to compare it to something. It has to be a close up of the face that attaches to the tank (where the gasket sits). Much appreciated.

StirCrazy
10-04-2003, 04:51 PM
I will try get my gasket out.

Steve

StirCrazy
10-04-2003, 05:09 PM
ok, I got my gasket out and this is what the end that comes in contact with the co2 bottle should look like.

http://members.shaw.ca/stircrazy/endproper.jpg

Steve

Aquattro
10-04-2003, 08:12 PM
Thanks Steve. That's what I thought it should look like.

Anyone know what this end is for??

http://www.islandreef.ca/post/noco2.jpg

Jack
10-04-2003, 10:34 PM
Still not sealing Brad?

Aquattro
10-04-2003, 11:22 PM
Still not sealing Brad?

Jack, I have a lot of difficulty getting this thing to seal. I don't think it's a CO2 regulator! (or at least the arm is wrong for CO2 applications)

titus
10-05-2003, 05:24 AM
Hello,

Steve, if you don't mind, can you please post a pic of the same end but at an angle like Brad's shot? There is a ring around the end of your connection. I wonder if it is a groove, or if it is the centre part sticking out. The way your photo was shot I can't tell.

Thanks
Titus

Aquattro
10-05-2003, 06:04 AM
I wonder if it is a groove, or if it is the centre part sticking out. The way your photo was shot I can't tell.

Thanks
Titus

Titus, it is a groove that you see. The center is flush with the outer edge. I'm sure Steve can manage a picture :razz:

StirCrazy
10-05-2003, 07:39 AM
it is a groove in the sealing face. nothing sticks out at all. if it was to stick out you would have a hell of a time getting it to seal properly which is what I suspect is happening with Brads. the groove creates an increase in the amount of surface to surface contact which increases the sealing ability. the face of the actual valve on the bottle has several grooves to increase the sealing surface against the teflon. Tomorrow I can take a pic at a different angle if it still isn't clear.

Brad, to me it looks like yours has a insert threaded into it, but it still protrudes a bit. am I seeing this right? to me it looks like someone took a brass plug that uses a allan key to tighten it and drilled it out.

if so, what some one could have done is taken some other type of regulator and "adapted" it in a mickey mouse fassion to work on CO2. if it is a threaded plug this might not be to safe over time as when you combine different metals you set up a corosion process which in time could eat away at one of the metals and allow the pressure to blow the end off the regulator. I would have some serious resavations about using that regulator untill you find out exactly what is going on. if you need one right away you could borrow mine for a week or two as that is how long it is going to be befor I will be set up again.

Steve

Aquattro
10-05-2003, 07:43 AM
Steve, looking at the Micro Matic website, it seems they sell this as a CO2 reg. I have emailed them to find out what is going on. Remember when you asked why I went thru so much CO2?? :razz:

titus
10-05-2003, 05:28 PM
Hello,

Having a groove there does helps to increase contact pressure, so long as there is a o-ring. Brad's regulator end isn't like that when used. There's another piece of white ring that fits around the brass protrusion.

As far as whether it is for CO2 use. I have no doubt in my mind it is. These regulators are for bar use with much much higher CO2 flow rates, than the typical welding or aquarium use that we see elsewhere. As such, there is no misfits or anything here that I'm sure. As the rest of the regulators I have in stock are all like that.

Brad, let's wait and see what Micro Matic say. If you ended up coming to Vancouver to visit J&L for a new regulator, let me know. I'll see if I can put another one of mine on your CO2 bottle to see what really is going on. If not, I'll give you a refund, since you are so nice. :mrgreen:

Titus

Aquattro
10-05-2003, 05:38 PM
Titus, from what I can see, Micromatic calls these CO2 regs. I thought you may have got one by mistake for something else, but if that's what they call them, then it isn't your fault. I deally I would like them to send me a "normal" CGA 320 leg. I put anew washer in and used a (much) longer wrench to tighten it, so we'll see what happens. Thanks for your attention to this so far!!

StirCrazy
10-06-2003, 02:06 AM
As far as whether it is for CO2 use. I have no doubt in my mind it is. These regulators are for bar use with much much higher CO2 flow rates, than the typical welding or aquarium use that we see elsewhere. As such, there is no misfits or anything here that I'm sure. As the rest of the regulators I have in stock are all like that.

Titus

After looking at there web page I saw the regulator but cannot get a good view of the end. I agree that they are a CO2 set but I also think they are for use in a poropriatary set up. you say they are for bar use this could be but I bet they hook up to a non standard CO2 bottle.

I have used a few different regulators myself for beer carbonation and making sparkling wines and ciders and all of them had the same maiting surface as the regulator I am using now. Add that to the fact that no one in town seamed to know what Brads regulator was for and I am leaning more towards a propiritary type system. Maybe they make a adapter for use on a "standard" CO2 valve set.

Steve