PDA

View Full Version : Skimate colour

vic622
02-19-2010, 12:05 AM
Is this a good color for skimate ?
The Remora has been set up for less than a week ...

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e178/fire622/Skimmer/Skimate.jpg

bvlester
02-19-2010, 12:13 AM
Hay thats prity good for a Remora I would say most I have seen are a bit lighter in color than yours. Keep doing what your doing. got any pic's of the rest of your tank?

Bill

vic622
02-19-2010, 12:28 AM
Hay thats prity good for a Remora I would say most I have seen are a bit lighter in color than yours. Keep doing what your doing. got any pic's of the rest of your tank?

Bill
I had a feeling it might not be too bad :

My tank build:
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=55390
My Remora to Urchin DIY:
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=61249

imcosmokramer
02-19-2010, 12:49 AM
that is nice for a remora. my euro-reef pull mud.
________
DISCREET22 live (http://camslivesexy.com/cam/DISCREET22)

hillbillyreefer
02-19-2010, 01:19 AM
That's about what I get from mine.

burgerchow
02-19-2010, 05:04 AM
Hey Vic,

How many days of skim mate is that?
I think Remoras are the biggest over-rated p.o.s around. I've had one on my 55 corner bowfront fowlr tank for about 7 mos now. Never could get decent skimmate since setting it up. Best I could do is tea colored like yours. Even a prism or bak-pak skimmer pulls more out of the water. I've even had J&l check it out, and that's the way it's supposed to work. My Vertex in my reef pulls thick mud and I know it's doing it's job.
I don't know how people rate this skimmer as one of the best hob skimmers.

vic622
02-19-2010, 05:13 AM
Hey Vic,

How many days of skim mate is that?
I think Remoras are the biggest over-rated p.o.s around. I've had one on my 55 corner bowfront fowlr tank for about 7 mos now. Never could get decent skimmate since setting it up. Best I could do is tea colored like yours. Even a prism or bak-pak skimmer pulls more out of the water. I've even had J&l check it out, and that's the way it's supposed to work. My Vertex in my reef pulls thick mud and I know it's doing it's job.
I don't know how people rate this skimmer as one of the best hob skimmers.

The skimmer has been on the tank since the weekend, so about 3 days, and that was about 6hrs of skimate - just started tweeking it.

untamed
02-19-2010, 05:32 AM
Your skim colour will change based on what you feed.

chris88
02-19-2010, 05:32 AM
from my past experiance with them they work fine. For the price they are awesome. There is better out there but you will have to pay for it.

vic622
02-19-2010, 05:43 AM
Your skim colour will change based on what you feed.
Okay, I'll bite - Do you mean dry, frozen, live, manufacturer, or all the above?

vic622
02-19-2010, 05:46 AM
from my past experiance with them they work fine. For the price they are awesome. There is better out there but you will have to pay for it.

I wish $ wasn't an object, then I would have a bigger tank(s), bigger fish, bigger skimmer, bigger house ... :mrgreen:

bvlester
02-19-2010, 07:24 AM
you can get it a bit better I sish the injector hole was smaller then you could get better skimm from it do not fiddle with the one that it comes with. My aqua medic T1000 multi skimms black mud or ink. Its realy stinky almost pay to the porcilin god when I clean it out almost every time. Had a cold the last couple times so good thing still could smell it.
My daughter will not use that washroom for and hour or two after.

Bill

vic622
02-19-2010, 01:57 PM
you can get it a bit better I sish the injector hole was smaller then you could get better skimm from it do not fiddle with the one that it comes with. My aqua medic T1000 multi skimms black mud or ink. Its realy stinky almost pay to the porcilin god when I clean it out almost every time.
Eventhough this is only tea coloured, it is a bit raunchy smelling - I can imagine (Nah I don't want to) what a thicker skimate would smell like :p
Had a cold the last couple times so good thing still could smell it.
My daughter will not use that washroom for and hour or two after.

Bill
I don't think I want to have to have a cold every time I need to drain the brew :)

vic622
02-19-2010, 02:06 PM
One of the problems I've run into is that size of the 1st chamber on my sump.

On the recommendation of a local reefer, and because of space limitations & wanting to have a 'fuge, I built my sump from a 29gal tank.
The 1st chamber is 5-1/2", which is too narrow for almost all in-sump skimmers.
Most are 6 to 6-1/2" at the narrowest and so I can't cram them into my sump.
The final chamber is bigger, @ 6-1/2", but its got the return pump and heater.

The other thing that is not so good is I didn't build the 1st chamber with an overflow partition - its an underflow/bubble-trap; translation the level fluctuates with evaporation - As I understand it, not so good for most in-sump type skimmers.

As it is, I ended up putting the skimmer body in the second chamber (3"), but it feeds/outputs in the 1st chamber.

whatcaneyedo
02-19-2010, 02:20 PM
Here is about 1 week of collection from my Urchin Pro which is on a 30gal system with a yellow watchman goby and a green coral goby (two small fish thats it). I probably have it sitting too high but when it was lower it would often fill up with really watery skimmate right away.

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh109/whatcaneyedo/Picture719.jpg

vic622
02-19-2010, 04:57 PM
Here is about 1 week of collection from my Urchin Pro which is on a 30gal system with a yellow watchman goby and a green coral goby (two small fish thats it). I probably have it sitting too high but when it was lower it would often fill up with really watery skimmate right away.

What colour are the bubbles as thy come up/exit the riser tube?

Mine seem mainly clear/white.

whatcaneyedo
02-19-2010, 07:09 PM
The upper bubbles in my are pretty white too. But as I was pointing out, the skimmer is really overkill for the system its on. The only time I get slightly brown or green bubbles is from the beckett skimmer on my main system right after I clean the glass or do something else that adds a lot of waste to the water column.