PDA

View Full Version : silicone cure time

lorenz0
02-18-2010, 11:01 PM
just a quick question, but how long is needed for silicone to cure before water can be added? 12-24 hours?

Crytone
02-18-2010, 11:27 PM
depends on the brand but usually 24hrs minimum. Some will say 48hrs. As always the longer the better but I'd stick with 24hrs min.

lorenz0
02-19-2010, 12:01 AM
I'm trying to figure out what i am going to do with the move of my tank and the one thing i said was i am going to deal with the over flow and get rid of it. One idea is to run my drain and emergency through my original 2 1" (one will be re-drilled to 1 1/2" bulk head) and than add a block off piece of glass for the original holes drilled for the drain and emergency.

or order a new tank

will all my SPS be ok in a holding tank with just my powerheads for 2 days?

bvlester
02-19-2010, 12:05 AM
24 hrs to be safe for most but total cure is some thing like 7days, but safe after 24 if you can touch it and it is not goowy or move under your finger then the out side layer is safe for saltwter. But I always wate 48 hrs to add water you never know with silicone you don't want to loss all your fish, in this hobby its always better to error on the safe side and go slow..

Bill

Crytone
02-19-2010, 12:25 AM
will all my SPS be ok in a holding tank with just my powerheads for 2 days?

I'd set it up the same as a regular tank. Heater, Powerheads, a little light and a good water mix (likely just from the tank they came from). They should be fine for 2 days with that.