PDA

View Full Version : sunlight good or bad?

cordeiro
02-18-2010, 09:27 PM
Hello,
My husband and I are trying to get peoples opinions on if direct sunlight is good or bad for our tank...
Any comments will be greatly appreciated
Thanks

mark
02-18-2010, 09:33 PM
See the displays with Solar-tubes, but as for putting in front of a window, heard (no experience) can cause unwanted algae growth and cause tank to go over temp.

cordeiro
02-18-2010, 09:36 PM
Our tank is not infront of a window but we did notice sunlight is going into the tank, we are tryin to figure out if we should cover the window or if its goin to affect it that much, its only a corner of the tank that is getting the sunlight

kien
02-18-2010, 09:42 PM
My tank sits in my living room and gets direct sunlight. This would cause that panel of glass to bloom with spectacular algaes quite quickly. I had to close the blinds in my living room to prevent this. However, now I am running nutrient reducing media that works really well (NP BioPellets) so out of curiosity I opened up my blinds again. To my surprise that panel of glass does not get algae blooms anymore. So the cause was one part direct sun and one part nutrients in my tank.

I did/do not notice extra heat in my tank from the direct sun.

whatcaneyedo
02-18-2010, 09:43 PM
As long as it doesnt cause the water to overheat natural sunlight is good for your tank. There are a handful of people (in the USA mostly) who have set up coral greenhouses in order to use natural sunlight and save on the electrical costs of large scale coral growing.

Leah
02-18-2010, 09:46 PM
I have a tank in the sun and must keep the blinds closed at all times. I have a chair tucked up close to them to block it........tank is in my bedroom and yes it is a pain, however I feed my fish a lot and have cut down but still find it is originating on the side closest to the window.

cordeiro
02-18-2010, 09:56 PM
thank you everyone!!

wickedfrags
02-18-2010, 10:53 PM
Only impact may be temperature, and perhaps unwanted glare. No impact on algae assuming all other parameters are in check, algae is primarily a function of water quality. Honestly, of in front of a window makes the most sense for the layout of your home, I would not think twice about it. Cheers.

Hello,
My husband and I are trying to get peoples opinions on if direct sunlight is good or bad for our tank...
Any comments will be greatly appreciated
Thanks

LeeR
02-18-2010, 11:55 PM
spring and fall i let my tank get full light from the window all day and summer it gets light in early morning and dusk.

polyp extension is great and the clams love it. :mrgreen: