PDA

View Full Version : Live rock Q's

burrows14
02-18-2010, 01:23 AM
Im going to transfer all my cured live rock in my current system into a new in about 2 weeks and and do not want to bring any algae or other problems that I had in my old tank into the new one. Im thinking about pulling all my rock out of my current set up and throwning it in a garbage can for a couple of weeks with a power head and heater and doing a couple water changes. would this get rid of any problems? Im planning on buying some dry rock this weekend also that I would throw in to get seeded .

christyf5
02-18-2010, 01:37 AM
IMO a couple of weeks won't totally get rid of the algae but it may help. I don't know if like hermit crabs or not but if you get a bunch and throw them in and all they have to eat is algae, they do a pretty nice job cleaning the rock as well.

burrows14
02-18-2010, 01:48 AM
Im dealing with a rusty kind of algae Im pretty sure its cyano. I upgraded my lighting system by almost double the wattage and my vortech has been down for 2 weeks.In my 120gal I have 4 MJ1200's and a korillia 3 running but I have a ton of dead spots which is not helping my fight. Along with hermits would it be ok to add a couple turbo snails ?

christyf5
02-18-2010, 01:51 AM
I would pick one or the other. The hermits will likely feast on the turbos.

burrows14
02-18-2010, 01:58 AM
very true! Ive seen it happen a few time in my tank. what about urchins? I dont want mine to starve in my tank while I cook the rock

christyf5
02-18-2010, 02:01 AM
I tend to think of urchins as the "hey neato!" critter in the tank. Mine eats mostly coralline algae and poops it out in nice piles. I wouldn't risk it as they can also go through a huge amount of coralline (and any other algae near the coralline) in a short time.

On the other hand you could try one for a few days and see what happens. Make sure there is no rock shifting though or he might go squish.

burrows14
02-18-2010, 02:02 AM
Ok thanks Christy!:biggrin: