PDA

View Full Version : Banning Coral imports U.S. Interesting read.

OceanicCorals-Ian-
02-17-2010, 12:00 AM
http://www.coralmagazine-us.com/content/us-considers-endangered-species-protection-82-stony-coral-species

Mr.nintendo
02-17-2010, 12:15 AM
great to hear

mark
02-17-2010, 12:44 AM
considering how close say one species of acro is from another and then the difficulies to Customs, could see this being an overall ban, guess I better hurry up and re-populate my tank

Albertan22
02-17-2010, 12:57 AM
No more international coral trade eh? Better start growing out some frags, looks like the value might be going up...

globaldesigns
02-17-2010, 01:11 AM
Wow, I have a nice big galaxy coral and it is endangered? I better take care of it then.

Delphinus
02-17-2010, 02:19 AM
Seriously, how long will it be before something like this gains traction? On the one hand it sucks for hobbyists because supply will get cut but on the other hand if you stop to think about how many corals were collected compared to each one in our tanks and it's probably 100 to 1 or worse .. maybe it's needed. :(

Kryptic4L
02-17-2010, 02:34 AM
i wouldnt be to concerned with it, Im sure there will be certified dealer's who will aquaculture most things. import's would be limited. And the supplier's from those import's will probably undergo certification for sustainable reef's with x amount collected in a more humane way then cyanide fishing etc....

im all for cultured everything. and we seem to be getting closer every day to this goal.

Chase31
02-17-2010, 03:07 AM
i dont understand why they have to take such large amounts and cant take frags :(

Devonious
02-17-2010, 03:29 AM
Great news :D

One step closer to saving our ocean.

George
02-17-2010, 03:57 AM
I was thinking, this is only a US thing. But the more I thought about, the more I realized it would affect Canada too. A lot (all?) of corals shipped to Canada are being transported from a major US airport. If this is to be passed as a law, import of corals into Canada will be greatly affected too as I don't think US will allow planes that have those corals to stop in a US airport.

kien
02-17-2010, 04:05 AM
i wouldnt be to concerned with it, Im sure there will be certified dealer's who will aquaculture most things. import's would be limited. And the supplier's from those import's will probably undergo certification for sustainable reef's with x amount collected in a more humane way then cyanide fishing etc....

im all for cultured everything. and we seem to be getting closer every day to this goal.

I think this is the way the trade will go which means prices will sky rocket for everything.

JDigital
02-17-2010, 04:09 AM
I think this is the way the trade will go which means prices will sky rocket for everything.

Like this hobby isn't expensive enough! :lol:

globaldesigns
02-17-2010, 04:14 AM

Yeah, this hobby is expensive... Just a matter of all of us working together, trading frags and ideas. I believe there is enough coral taken already, and if we all take care of things, why take more out of the oceans.

What will happen is that companies will setup coral farms, they are already out there, but more will pop up.

I do believe something has to be done, as the worlds reefs are being destroyed by humans, I am ok with this, as I want to be able to have my kids take their kids (one day) to the oceans reefs.

kien
02-17-2010, 05:54 AM

word.

kien
02-17-2010, 05:59 AM
A few months back someone posted a video link of some ocean coral farmers that were growing corals in the ocean and returning them to the reefs (or creating new reefs). I think this is what needs to be done on a larger scale. Harvest some corals, grow it out, sell some to the industry and return a bunch back to the ocean. Kind of like what the forestry industry is doing. Take a tree, plant a tree, etc.

Kryptic4L
02-17-2010, 07:01 AM
A few months back someone posted a video link of some ocean coral farmers that were growing corals in the ocean and returning them to the reefs (or creating new reefs). I think this is what needs to be done on a larger scale. Harvest some corals, grow it out, sell some to the industry and return a bunch back to the ocean. Kind of like what the forestry industry is doing. Take a tree, plant a tree, etc.

this will only go so far many natural colonie's are bleaching out and being depleted naturally as well. time to break out the 1000000 gph reactor's

kien
02-17-2010, 05:18 PM
this will only go so far many natural colonie's are bleaching out and being depleted naturally as well. time to break out the 1000000 gph reactor's

Maybe if everyone donated some of their BIo pellets to the ocean. Although that wouldn't help with some of the other causes like heat?

Crytone
02-17-2010, 05:28 PM
I can see it now.. The new excuse for husbands to get new frags. "But Honey, it's an investment! Later when it's banned for import I can sell the frags for more than I paid!"

globaldesigns
02-17-2010, 05:47 PM
I can see it now.. The new excuse for husbands to get new frags. "But Honey, it's an investment! Later when it's banned for import I can sell the frags for more than I paid!"

I think you are on to something.

Coleus
02-17-2010, 05:56 PM

Expensive and very addictive :-(

naesco
02-17-2010, 06:57 PM
In my opinion import should be restricted, other than for 'seed stock' where any coral, fish or invert can be aqua-cultured either at the source (which is presently being done for most acros for example) or in Canada. The decline in wild stock is alarming.

OceanicCorals-Ian-
02-17-2010, 07:17 PM
In my opinion import should be restricted, other than for 'seed stock' where any coral, fish or invert can be aqua-cultured either at the source (which is presently being done for most acros for example) or in Canada. The decline in wild stock is alarming.

Aqua culturing is the name of the game for us at O.C. as I am sure most have already noticed. We import Mari-cultured or Aqua-cultured Acro species only, I don't see us selling any wild caught colonies now or anytime in the future. LPS is a different story and many are wild caught; however, we are doing what we can to culture all that we deem as viable to frag and grow.

whatcaneyedo
02-17-2010, 07:20 PM
What really confuses me is that they also want to ban the trade across states essentially killing the aquaculture industry as well. That doesnt make any sense.

OceanicCorals-Ian-
02-17-2010, 07:23 PM
What really confuses me is that they also want to ban the trade across states essentially killing the aquaculture industry as well. That doesnt make any sense.

There would be no way to enforce the banning of inter-state coral trading.

Seamazter
02-17-2010, 07:46 PM
This could work to canadians benifit now, since canada has no such list, should they want to sell to us as the farmers are still going to want to sell thier corals.
Could end up being cheeper, more selection and better quality corals for us.
One could only hope anyways.

George
02-17-2010, 09:32 PM
Don't bet on it. Corals going into Canada are on route from one of major US airports. After the ban taking effect, you will see less corals going our way because the shipments can't stop in US any more.

This could work to canadians benifit now, since canada has no such list, should they want to sell to us as the farmers are still going to want to sell thier corals.
Could end up being cheeper, more selection and better quality corals for us.
One could only hope anyways.

MrsBugmaster
02-17-2010, 09:40 PM
I think it will not stop at coral and fish but live rock as well will be banned.

kien
02-17-2010, 10:03 PM
and then the RCMP will be raiding our homes in search of anything they can find in our tanks that shouldn't be in there :sad: The hobby will go underground and we will be labeled the new "grow ops".. :sad::sad:

Seamazter
02-17-2010, 10:06 PM
Pssttt, wanna buy some coral..... buddy? I gotz me sum good stuffz here.

Ian
02-17-2010, 11:34 PM
Talked with a lawyer friend who takes care of many import/export issues for big companies and he says that for most banned substances ( other than drugs), as long as they are legally collected in the country of origin and they are not offloaded in the USA then they can be shipped to Canada with very few issues.