PDA

View Full Version : DO I have enough flow?

banditpowdercoat
02-13-2010, 01:53 PM
I know it's been covered before, But I can never seem to find what I need easily with the search.
My 150g, I have a Dolphin Amp Master 3000 for Closed Loop 1.5" plumbing so 3000 GPH, running through a OM-4 way. And the Sump return is a Little Giant 4 MDQX throttled back and running a reactor also, so 900GPH?

I want to start keeping some SPS. But lately, not having luck. Could I use more flow? I'm toying with the idea of a wavebox, but not sure how that will work with my coast to coat overflow. It's pretty close to the top of tank.

Bloodasp
02-13-2010, 02:04 PM
26 total turnover? You probably could add more.

fishytime
02-13-2010, 02:54 PM
I always say this to customers at the shop......"anything we can do in our little glass boxes pales in comparison to what mother nature puts a reef through.....as long as your sand stays put, up the flow".....just remember that it is almost impossible to make every coral in your reef happy at the same time....your turnover is probably less that what Bloodasp pointed out because of "head pressure loss"..... a wave box would likely be anoying with a coast to coast overflow, as there will splashing at either end of the overflow.....waveboxes work best with a center overflow....Ive got about 96 times turnover/hr in my tank.....sps love it.....lps not so much...

banditpowdercoat
02-13-2010, 03:06 PM
Hmmm, Anyone with a Vortech wana come visit!!! I wouldnt mind seeing how they would work, making a little wave and such, but it's a little pricy to "test" LOL

The whole thing was to have no powerheads, but I think I may have to get 1 or 2? Only places I would consider are right side of tank, and back wall. But back is pretty much taken up by rock.

Ohh I need a 3rd job.. and 4th, 5th, possibly a 6th LOL

Leah
02-13-2010, 03:36 PM
Dan you could try Flomax. :wink:

mark
02-13-2010, 03:40 PM
More than just gph but also layout but for comparison on my 145g have a Dart on a OM-4Way (3600gph less CL loss which don't expect much) and ~1000gph return from the sump. Lot's of SPS growth and sheltered areas so as good on the LPS. Had a crash but really don't think due flow, my signature gives an idea of tank load.

what's your flow thread (http://canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=48372&highlight=barracuda)

Dez
02-13-2010, 04:14 PM
I have a 150, closed loop with Dart (3600gph)on a OM 4way and return from sump at about 1500 gph going through a wavysea, and a wavebox (unknown amount of flow). Sps are growing like crazy for the most part and the only coral I've lost so far are due to me going away and not being able to rescue a frag that has fallen into a hammer coral and another frag due to another sps growing into it and touching it and stinging it. So I'd say my flow is sufficient (for now.....we'll see when the corals grow huge).

whatcaneyedo
02-13-2010, 04:50 PM
I'm also part of the dart + OM 4-Way club as my return system and then I have a mag 12 pushing water through a spray bar in behind my rock. In total it should be about 29x/hr or 3500gph in a 120gal. Most of the water flow is focused to the center of my tank where I keep my acropora. Surrounding them is a combination of clams, LPS and less flow demanding SPS like montipora.

banditpowdercoat
02-13-2010, 05:05 PM
So I should be good for a while then. Just need to figure out better SPS placement and whatever else I'm doing wrong LOL

PoonTang
02-13-2010, 08:41 PM
Dan, you could try adding a few of the cheaper powerheads hidden off in the corners. I have 2 Korillia 4's in my 120g and I need to be careful where I point them or they will blow the sand around. They are only about $50 each so a fair bit cheaper than a mp40 :)