PDA

View Full Version : skimmer upgrade

Reefmaster
10-01-2003, 09:29 PM
i'm posting this cuz many of you are much more up to speed on the which are the top end skimmers that give best bang for the buck. i'll be replacing my turboflotor1000 with something in the range of the PM Bullet3. i'm not familiar with some of the newer models by other manufacturers...so feedback would be appreciated.
shane who really does exist!

Reefmaster
10-02-2003, 03:34 PM
oh cmon i know y'all got opinions...i don't bite. not enough info, ok for those who don't know me, or have tried to forget me - HA! nice try brad you're busted!! - the main tank is a mod loaded mixed reef 135 with ~80g in two reverse lit sumps.
mostly looking for who is using what and their feedback on how well suited it is ie is it overrated, does it kick a$$, is there a better one for more or less money.
ok post up shy people, then i'll disappear into the realm of lurkdom for another couple of months!
shane

Aquattro
10-02-2003, 03:52 PM
The name sounds familiar, but I can't recall any Shanes. :razz: Oh well, try this link.

http://www.jlaquatics.com/cgi-bin/shopping/jalstore.cgi?user_action=detail&catalogno=ps-eres81

zulu_principle
10-02-2003, 04:07 PM
Oh its Shane, the master of the 14" mushrooms......

Why you gonna buy a new $500 plus skimmer when Brad can build you one.

Wendell

Reefmaster
10-02-2003, 04:10 PM
a HECK of an idea...hmm, well now, i guess he just has to figure out how many mushrooms he wants in exchange...

Aquattro
10-02-2003, 04:20 PM
problem is Brad is easily distract......mushrooms? I'm allergic to mushrooms. Terrible rash. Where were we?

Reefmaster
10-02-2003, 04:26 PM
oh yes i've seen this once before. oxygen starvation. you gotta turn the co2 down or open a window!

Aquattro
10-02-2003, 04:35 PM
oh yes i've seen this once before. oxygen starvation. you gotta turn the co2 down or open a window!

Funny you should say that. I had a defective gasket on my regulator and dumped my 10 pound, freshly filled CO2 bottle into the living room over 2 days. Very sleeepy.........

Dale D
10-02-2003, 05:29 PM
Take a look at the Aerofoamer line of skimmers. They are alittle pricey,but,I have only heard good things about them.

The next skimmer I build myself will be based on that design.

Aquattro
10-02-2003, 05:37 PM
Dale, I'm also building one of those right now using 8" tube. I think Stephane makes DIY versions for sale if Shane wanted to go that way.

Reefmaster
10-02-2003, 06:06 PM
hmm, i don't know about that one. also, a year or two ago i would def be looking at a diy but unfortunately time is a valuable commodity for me these days so have accepted that i will have to part with some $$ to get one that just needs to be plumbed in. are these available assembled and ready to roll?

Acro
10-02-2003, 07:40 PM
Shane, good to hear your still alive and well :cool: Though I don't personally own either. It is my understanding that many experienced reefers like the euroreef line of skimmers and better yet are the deltec line. I believe jl sells the euroreefs but you'll need to order a deltec through the US @ www.aquatic-reflections.com

Aquattro
10-02-2003, 08:13 PM
Shane, I believe Stephane may have them already built. I understand they are top quality.
The Euroreef certainly has a good rep, and I think several members here have them. (EmB, Doug...)

Reefmaster
10-03-2003, 03:35 AM
is stephane on this site? or has someone got contact info for him?

Aquattro
10-03-2003, 03:47 AM
Shane, he is on this site using his real name. Email is probably the best way to get a hold of him.

EmilyB
10-03-2003, 06:14 AM
Euro-reef.. :cool: :mrgreen:

stephane
10-05-2003, 02:50 AM
hello guys, thanks Brad for the good word

I tink titus the owner and fondator of this great forum also build skimmer and I respect him he is a realy nice guy and I dont feel realy confortable posting about my skimmer here

I will not post any picture of them or more detail for this reason unless he tell me to do so as Im not shure if he still build skimmer

contact me in private or email for more detail

thanks

Reefmaster
10-07-2003, 05:58 PM
ok perfect, just what i needed. thanks guys.

also, my post was a general enquiry - i'm interested in hearing different thoughts, opinions etc. i would certainly consider titus' skimmer as much as any other, my goal is to find a top of the line skimmer that is affordable, ie bang for the buck.

shane

Marcus K
10-08-2003, 07:23 AM
Shane I hope I can join in on the info. I have a 90gal that I would like to add a skimmer to but dont have the cash for the top of the line unit. I hate the seaclone skimmer that I have which seems to have started to work. I guess I should of started to look sooner. Titus, if you still make skimmer could you PM me with more info.

Marcus

Aquattro
10-08-2003, 07:36 AM
Titus, if you still make skimmer could you PM me with more info.

Marcus

Marcus, go take a look at the online store. Bottom of the page has Canreef skimmers.

http://www.canreef.com/store/index.html

Jack
10-08-2003, 02:54 PM
SWC, from thier online description and reviews, has some nice big beckett skimmers for sale. It's their own product line. You may want to check into those on his website. I was going to get one but decided I'd try DIY... I'm about halfway done just gotta make flanges and assemble.