PDA

View Full Version : Electronic select-a-watt HQI setting same as M80?

lastlight
02-12-2010, 02:05 AM
Just wondering if what makes an M80 ballast an M80 ballast is the wattage outputted? Or is there more to it?

These new electronic ballasts by SLS and Lumatek have HQI dials but does that mean they drive an HQI bulb (like the 250W Radiums I want) to spec (M80) or am I better off with a real M80 ballast?

wayner
02-12-2010, 02:21 AM
I bought a real one :smile:, M80 that is, Sunlight Supply, heavy, built like a tank, I probably would of bought a PFO but they stopped making them, I know Sunlight Supply has China put them together now, I was concerned about Quality Control., don't know why, everything is made in China now :smile: from what I've read, there have been no issues - and they are a true M80, just got my Radium Bulb 250.

I know this doesn't answer your question, just thought I'd share that my plan all along was to use a M80 ballast or HQI if you will, with the Radium.

If you don't get the answers your looking for, send a PM to Paul Erik (lighting Guru) Reef Central.

lastlight
02-12-2010, 02:35 AM
Yeah I will do that. I saw his name pop up a lot the past few days in my searches. Thanks!

whatcaneyedo
02-12-2010, 03:52 AM
Share what you find out on here. I was curious about this too when I saw the lumatek for sale at Progressive Reef.

fkshiu
02-12-2010, 04:37 AM
I highly doubt that the Select-a-Watt ballasts are true M80s.

Firstly, they're marketed as "electronic". An M80 is a magnetic ballast.

Secondly, have you ever picked up an M80? It weighs a freakin' ton because of the huge transformer. The listed shipping weight of a Select-a-Watt is 6 lbs - much lighter.

That said, I haven't seen any performance numbers, but I strongly suspect that it will behave like any other electronic ballast meaning that you'll draw a true amount of wattage and it will underdrive HQI-spec'd bulbs like the Radium (i.e. lower PAR). Radiums on electronics also tend to appear far more blue than they do while driven by a true M80.

lastlight
02-12-2010, 04:58 AM
I have a feeling you're right. I'll be buying a blue wave 7 unless someone can convince me otherwise.