PDA

View Full Version : timed Powerheads?

Fishward
02-11-2010, 09:49 PM
Hey all,
just curious what everyone else does with timing powerheads on and off overnight... what sort of flow they maintain during the day vs during the night.. Does everyone have their powerheads on timers?

I have 2 Korallia 3s and 1 Korallia 2 in a 4ft 65 gallon.. any suggestions on what to keep running overnight and what to switch on only for the day?

Thanks!

blueyota
02-11-2010, 10:16 PM
I have 2 K4 a K3 and a 400 gph closed loop and 1500 gph return running 24/7
also the vortech mps have a night mode and such im saving up for a couple (pricey)

Fishward
02-13-2010, 09:50 PM
Bump.. anyone else put their Powerheads on timers?

lorenz0
02-13-2010, 10:19 PM
mine are on a controller and they constantly change throught the day from different percentages of output. even at night

Fishward
02-13-2010, 11:12 PM
mine are on a controller and they constantly change throught the day from different percentages of output. even at night

Is that kinda flow variation needed normally? im just wondering if i should spring for sometimers for my powerheads.. is there value there?

burgerchow
02-13-2010, 11:32 PM
get 2 vortech mp40s and once you set the night mode, they automatically go down to 1/4 speed and come back on to full speed after 10 hrs. Just like Ronco Grill. Set it and forget it... best investment you can make for your tank.

Aquaria
02-13-2010, 11:33 PM
well i have been wondering the same thing, because of the way i have setup timers for lights was easy for me to time my flow. at night i have my eheim 2217 turn on for carbon phos and denitrate so i decided to turn off my nano (have koralia 1 and a nano in a 46g bow), so i could mantain as close to day as possible only 40 g/h difference more at night .but im wondering if i should leave both on all the time and keep my canister on the timer

Aquaria
02-13-2010, 11:37 PM
get 2 vortech mp40s and once you set the night mode, they automatically go down to 1/4 speed and come back on to full speed after 10 hrs. Just like Ronco Grill. Set it and forget it... best investment you can make for your tank.

so im guessing that lower flow at night is preferable and if thats the case ill keep doing what im doing since i cant really get much lower unless u can adjust the speed of the canister