PDA

View Full Version : Feeding Question

Marlin65
02-11-2010, 07:22 PM
I picked up a Sunburst Anthia about 3 weeks ago and he was eating when I picked him up from the store. He has been eating but only tiny bits. I have been feeding him mysic soaked in garlic and selcon.
last night he did not eat at all and I am a bit worried about him. Does anyone know of anything else I can feed that might have a better feeding response?
He has something wrong with his lip as well not sure what that is all about but that did not make a difference before. He might of bitten something that damaged his lip.
http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg94/hikingtrigger/Sunshine.jpg

naesco
02-11-2010, 08:24 PM
The sunburst is a very difficult fish to keep and I have not kept them. Frankly my experience long term with any anthias is not good. It requires quiet, peaceful tankmates. low light levels and low flow.
Try tossing in hair algae (her food of choice) which should be mid water and experiment with cyclopseze and smaller pieces of shrimp etc.
Her mouth area may have been injured in fighting against the plastic bag in shipment which is common in small wrasse. (continue the garlic).

Marlin65
02-11-2010, 08:32 PM
Thanks she is in with two clowns so no rough tankmates and she has lots of caves and overhangs to hide in. No hair algea in my tank but will try some of that out of my other tank. Do you think she would eat nori?
What about live food?
Do you think her mouth will heal over time if I can get her fed and keep her alive?

Marlin65
02-12-2010, 01:35 AM
He ate tonight a mixture of misis, brine shrimp, garlic, selcon, dry food, and some roti rich, with clam food added.:smile:
Oh and he is a male as the females are more on the pink side.
Hope this keeps up even if I have to overdose my tank I love this fish.:smile:
There is tons of food ever where for him to eat.:wink: Keeps thumbs crossed.

naesco
02-12-2010, 03:18 PM
Thanks she is in with two clowns so no rough tankmates and she has lots of caves and overhangs to hide in. No hair algea in my tank but will try some of that out of my other tank. Do you think she would eat nori?
What about live food?
Do you think her mouth will heal over time if I can get her fed and keep her alive?

If you can get her eating again and she takes food laced with garlic the chances that her mouth will heal are good. You can try nori but it appears she needs filamentous algae in the water column.

kien
02-12-2010, 03:36 PM
I picked up a pair of these recently too. They must be in season. Love them, they are so vibrant. They are quite skittish though and would not go near any food if there was another fish around (at first). What I had to do was blast their cave with my homemade fish mush using a turkey baster. I did this for a few days. They got braver and braver and now they are venturing out into the tank. I then started mixing in flakes with their fish mush and they are accepting that too now.

Marlin65
02-12-2010, 04:30 PM
mine was a bit shy as well but is out all the time now hanging out with my clowns. I mixed a whole bunch of stuff last night and he was picking away at different pieces. I am going to pick up some cyclopeze tonight to try.

kien
02-12-2010, 07:27 PM
Did you just pick up the one? I hear they do a little better with more than one in the tank. I don't know though.. there isn't tonnes of information on them.

Marlin65
02-12-2010, 09:31 PM
yes only one.
I got mine from jl they had two but one had a swim bladder problem. I think both were males as well and I read that is not a good idea.
Females are supposed to be more pink.

kien
02-12-2010, 09:35 PM
yes only one.
I got mine from jl they had two but one had a swim bladder problem. I think both were males as well and I read that is not a good idea.
Females are supposed to be more pink.

Hmm.. I have no idea what mine are but they both hang out together exclusively.