PDA

View Full Version : Lighting Selection

BerryNice
02-11-2010, 05:09 AM
Hi folks!

I'm a "newbie" here and a "newbie" to this hobby and would like to solicit your expertise on lighting. First of all, I am planning to have a custom 143 gallon tank (60"Lx22"Wx25"H). I am in the market for a full light fixture meaning HQI and HO-T5, unfortunately, due to my 60" length it's my understanding that the selection of 60" fixtures is very limited. Also, I believe I require a 250W fixture vs. a 150W because my height/depth is 25". Based on these requirements and my research so far, I have narrowed down my lighting selection to the following:

1) Coralife Aqualife Pro 48" 250W

2) Current USA "Outer Orbit" 60" 250W

3) Maristar 2 48" 250W

Can you provide me your recommendations and feedback? Aside from pricing/value, I am interested in features/highlights that may differentiate each of the fixtures.

Thanks!

kien
02-11-2010, 05:44 AM
Hi folks!

I'm a "newbie" here and a "newbie" to this hobby and would like to solicit your expertise on lighting. First of all, I am planning to have a custom 143 gallon tank (60"Lx22"Wx25"H). I am in the market for a full light fixture meaning HQI and HO-T5, unfortunately, due to my 60" length it's my understanding that the selection of 60" fixtures is very limited. Also, I believe I require a 250W fixture vs. a 150W because my height/depth is 25". Based on these requirements and my research so far, I have narrowed down my lighting selection to the following:

1) Coralife Aqualife Pro 48" 250W

2) Current USA "Outer Orbit" 60" 250W

3) Maristar 2 48" 250W

Can you provide me your recommendations and feedback? Aside from pricing/value, I am interested in features/highlights that may differentiate each of the fixtures.

Thanks!

I used to have a Current USA "Outer Oribt" 48" 250w. It worked great. The one thing I didn't like about it was the fact that it was a tad noisy. Noisy fans in the fixture and the ballasts were a noisy magnetic ballast. I did like that they had moon lights incorporated though.

I now use the Maristar 72" fixture. Love it. Much quiter, both the fixture itself and the electronic ballast (galaxy ballast). It was also cheaper than the Currents USA. With the Maristar the ballast is separate so you can actually pick which ballast you'd like to use. Also makes it easier if you need it serviced or replaced. With the Currents USA it is a proprietary ballast.

Hope that helps.

BerryNice
02-11-2010, 03:31 PM
Can someone explain the difference, advantages, and disadvantages between "compact fluorecent" T-5s (Coralife) vs. "fluorscent" T-5s (Current USA)? Preference?

Thanks,

kien
02-11-2010, 04:32 PM
Can someone explain the difference, advantages, and disadvantages between "compact fluorecent" T-5s (Coralife) vs. "fluorscent" T-5s (Current USA)? Preference?

Thanks,

The Compact Fluorescent bulbs that come with the Corallife fixture are not T5 bulbs, they are.. well, compact flurescent bulbs. Very different from T5 bulbs (like what the Current USA comes with).

T5s are generally brighter/more powerful and have a much more available spectrum and colour temperature to choose from. You choose from a very yellow 6500K all the way to very blue 22K or actinics and purples. There are also many manufacturers that offer the bulb so you have a lot of choice.

I have only ever seen actinics and 10K bulbs come out of CoralLife CF bulbs. I honestly do not know what the advantage of a Compact Fluroescent would be, other than energy savings. The CF would probably run cooler and consume less power? Also, if I am not mistaken those corallife CF bulbs are proprietary which means limited selection.

blueyota
02-11-2010, 04:41 PM
pcs are also more expensive than t5s

Carmen
02-11-2010, 05:59 PM
I run a 2X250W MH with pc's and I can tell you the pc's are worthless. Nice for an actinic/moonlight glow after lights out but that's about it. They do not contribute at all to the overall color when the MH are on. I have found it necessary to supplement with T5's as well to achieve a nicer color.

BerryNice
02-11-2010, 06:28 PM
So based on the feedback so far, it sounds like the Current USA fixture is the preferred choice over Coralife, am I correct?

+'s
T-5 bulbs vs. power compacts
Replacement T-5 bulbs are more cost effective and not proprietary to the fixture
full 60" coverage vs. 48"
60" allows me to properly mount

Anything else I should consider?

What is warranty/repair like with Current USA?

Thanks!

kien
02-11-2010, 06:41 PM
So based on the feedback so far, it sounds like the Current USA fixture is the preferred choice over Coralife, am I correct?

+'s
T-5 bulbs vs. power compacts
Replacement T-5 bulbs are more cost effective and not proprietary to the fixture
full 60" coverage vs. 48"
60" allows me to properly mount

Anything else I should consider?

What is warranty/repair like with Current USA?

Thanks!

I'm not sure if the Current USA fixture takes 48" bulbs or 60" bulbs but also consider the fact that 60" T5 bulbs are hard to come by. If they do in fact use the 60" bulbs I would recommend maybe getting two 24" fixtures to get your spread if that's what you're concerned about. If your tank isn't too deep one 48" fixture high enough should spread enough for the whole tank.