PDA

View Full Version : RIP my little lizard blenny

fishoholic
02-10-2010, 03:58 PM
Feeling sad today as my Lizard blenny (who I've had for awhile now) somehow managed to jump out of the tank :cry: He always swam around at the bottom of the tank so I'm not sure what made him jump.

This morning when I was calling my dog to come eat I noticed she stopped to sniff at a spot on the carpet in the living room before comming upstairs to eat in the kitchen. I didn't think anything of it at the time but later on when I went to leave the house for work I saw something on the carpet. I thought to myself that it was the spot my dog Oreo was sniffing eariler, so I went to see what it was, and much to my dismay it was the body of my lizard blenny :cry: I'm guessing that sometime this morning (I didn't notice it there when I went through the living room on my way to feed the cats) so probably after I fed the cats, my lizard blenny jumped out and one of the cats carried him upstairs where I later found him :cry:

Needless to say he will be missed as he had a great personality and was fun to watch swimming around the tank.

Skimmerking
02-10-2010, 04:07 PM
Ouch Laurie sorry to her kido,

bvlester
02-10-2010, 05:21 PM
sorry to hear that Laurie. you may have an agressor in the tank that would be the only thing that I can think of the would make a lizard blenny jomp out of the tank....You may have to watch carfuly for a bit to figure it outwhick one it is. sorry to bring this up but didn't one of your tangs go missing awhile ago. I think you have a hunter in that tank of yours. now all you need todo is figure out which one it is. some times it takes time and you have to put 2+2 together to figure things out.

Bill

fishoholic
02-10-2010, 10:54 PM
sorry to hear that Laurie. you may have an agressor in the tank that would be the only thing that I can think of the would make a lizard blenny jomp out of the tank....You may have to watch carfuly for a bit to figure it outwhick one it is. sorry to bring this up but didn't one of your tangs go missing awhile ago. I think you have a hunter in that tank of yours. now all you need todo is figure out which one it is. some times it takes time and you have to put 2+2 together to figure things out.

Bill

Ya that's the weird thing, I watch my tanks a lot and my aggressive fish (towards larger fish) is my regal tang and he never picked on my Naso Tang (that's the fish that went missing a while ago) but somehow the Naso did just up and vanish.

I know the lizard blenny jumped because I found his body on the floor, but of all my little fish in that tank he was the most aggressive, and would sometimes chase the others around. None of my other little fish or bigger ones ever picked on him. So not really sure what could of made him jump, only thing I can think of was maybe my cat was tapping on the glass with her paw and spooked him or something. However she has done that before and it didn't spook him in the past.

fishoholic
02-10-2010, 10:56 PM
Ouch Laurie sorry to her kido,

Thanks, it really sucked to find him on the floor. I wish I saw him jump and would of had time to put him back in the tank before my cat chewed on him :cry:

justinl
02-10-2010, 11:15 PM
Sorry for your loss. It looks like a pretty cool fish.

At the risk of sounding insensitive... the first link that pops up in a google search says "The Lizard Blenny is a great jumper, making a tight fitting canopy a must."
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+23+2141&pcatid=2141

for the record, I recommend canopies/lids for any tank that houses anything that is capable of clearing a tank without... and most fish are.

edit: I just looked at the pictures you linked in your sig and I see your tank does have a canopy. How high does it reach above the water line?

Delphinus
02-11-2010, 12:01 AM
Sometimes fish just jump. :( Who knows why. Maybe some of that anti-bird garden netting for over the top of your canopy is a good idea? I plan to use some myself if I can find some (might have to wait until spring??)

Anyhow sorry to hear it Laurie.. I know how you feel.

fishoholic
02-11-2010, 12:05 AM
Justinl The canopy is eight inches above the water line, that's why I was surprised he cleared it. Although he could of jumped onto the centre brace and the cat could of caught him from there. Not a 100% sure how he ended up on the floor.

I've had this tank set up for 2 years and I have wrasses that seem jumpy at times but have never jumped, so far the lizard blenny is the only fish to jump out of it. Which although it says they are jumpers he never seemed very jumpy, but rather he liked to slowly take his time swimming around the bottom of the tank. Even when the tank lights were out and I'd turn the overhead light on (which I try not to do to often, only if I need to find something) some of the other fish would freak out and dart to the back of the tank, but it never seemed to phase the lizard blenny.

They are cool fish, mine had a great personality

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii53/Laurie_Morin/corals/DSC_1634.jpg

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii53/Laurie_Morin/corals/DSC_1599.jpg

fishoholic
02-11-2010, 12:10 AM
Sometimes fish just jump. :( Who knows why. Maybe some of that anti-bird garden netting for over the top of your canopy is a good idea? I plan to use some myself if I can find some (might have to wait until spring??)

Anyhow sorry to hear it Laurie.. I know how you feel.

Thanks Tony, I like the idea of covering the top but Steve wont let me put anything over the tank that would cast a shadow on the corals (like egg crate or gutter guard) do you know if that type of netting casts shadows?

kien
02-11-2010, 12:14 AM
sorry to hear about your fish :( I hate it when they jump because there's pretty much nothing you can do for them at that point.. at least if fish get sick you have a fighting chance. If they jump their fate is pretty much sealed.

I am surprised no one has come up with some sort of perforated glass or acrylic. Or maybe they have but I've never seen them? It would allow the tank to breathe, the light to pass and the fish to stay put ? Bad idea?

fishoholic
02-11-2010, 12:32 AM
sorry to hear about your fish :( I hate it when they jump because there's pretty much nothing you can do for them at that point.. at least if fish get sick you have a fighting chance. If they jump their fate is pretty much sealed.

I am surprised no one has come up with some sort of perforated glass or acrylic. Or maybe they have but I've never seen them? It would allow the tank to breathe, the light to pass and the fish to stay put ? Bad idea?

Thanks it does suck when they jump.

Your idea sounds like a good one to me, so you just need to invent it and we'll be good to go :wink: or if something like that exists we need to find out how to get it.

bvlester
02-11-2010, 02:11 AM
Well you can look on the bright side of this at least you didn't have to put on the mask and flippers this time..

Hopfuly the future is brighter from hear on..

Bill

Carmen
02-11-2010, 02:32 AM
Sorry to hear Laurie...total bummer when you find them on the floor. :sad:
Check out my thread and the cover I made...I really don't think there is any lost light with the mesh (nothing like eggcrate) if you really do want a cover.

bvlester
02-11-2010, 04:31 AM
Can you still get it in silver that may even help with the light. I don't know never used it before.

Bill

Carmen
02-11-2010, 12:35 PM
Can you still get it in silver that may even help with the light. I don't know never used it before.

Bill

Have only seen the dark color.:wink:

MrsBugmaster
02-11-2010, 02:52 PM
sorry for your loss

BlueWorldAquatic
02-11-2010, 03:54 PM
Sorry for you loss Laurie.

I know how much you love your fish.

Ken - BWA