PDA

View Full Version : Plexiglass

Chad
09-30-2003, 10:26 PM
Ok, I got a stupid question.. I have some plexiglass.. Is it the same as acrylic? Use the same glue etc?

Thanks

Chad

martym
10-01-2003, 12:30 AM
I would say you can. I'm not a plastic expert though. Watch what you are using it for though, because plexi glass will turn yellow and go brittle after awhile.

Aquattro
10-01-2003, 01:16 AM
Plexiglass is a company name. They do manufacture acrylic sheet, so it is likely that is what you have. So yes, same solvents for bonding.

hw
10-05-2003, 04:07 PM
is the anyplace to buy the bonding solvent in the gvrd?

Aquattro
10-05-2003, 05:17 PM
is the anyplace to buy the bonding solvent in the gvrd?

Any plastics store will sell it.

Van down by the river
10-05-2003, 05:55 PM
because plexi glass will turn yellow and go brittle after awhile.

This is incorrect. Acrylic/Plexiglas will not turn yellow and brittle. I have seen plastics change after prolonged exposure to the sun (years). These pieces were not acrylic. They were a very cheap plastic, which would be unsuitable for aquariums anyways.
Occasionally I have seen brittle plexi but it is usually from poor manufacturing. Old Seaclear aquariums used very thin plexi. They flame polished them, after a short time the tanks would show crazing. Crazing looks like crystallization or a dense web of hairline fractures in the acrylic. The tank can often perform well even with crazing although, early seaclears seemed prone to splitting (material was too thin).

Crazing is caused by flame polishing which is the process of a flametorch being brushed past the surface of the acrylic to instantly superheat the acrylic. It softens or liquefies the outermost layer of the acrylic and then when it quickly cools, it is now smoothed. It's the lazy way of buffing the edges. It's fine for food bulk bins but, not for aquariums. Unfortunately many fabricators see an aquarium as just another box. The fast heating and cooling of the outerlayer can cause the small fractures. Sometimes it's not evident at first but with prolonged pressure from the water inside the unsightly fractures develop.

If you are fabricating a tank ask them how they polish. If they say they flame polish, consider finding another builder. Manual buffing will cost more but in the long run is a good investment. Manual buffing requires time as it is physical labour as to Flame polishing which takes seconds.

I know of many tanks that have been around for longer than most hobbyist have been in the hobby, and the tanks still look great. I'm not so sure about the hobbyists though! :eek:

martym
10-09-2003, 02:35 AM
Van for short. There different grades of plexi glass. So long as it is "weather proof" ( as my plastics book calls it) he will be ok.

Aquattro
10-09-2003, 04:26 AM
Van for short. There different grades of plexi glass. So long as it is "weather proof" ( as my plastics book calls it) he will be ok.

Nope, as long as it's acrylic sheet, preferably cast, he'll be fine.

Chad
10-09-2003, 04:40 AM

It doesn't matter now.. I bought it.. 7.50$ for a nice big sheet of Black acylic.. about 26" x 24"

Chad

hw
10-10-2003, 05:26 AM

It doesn't matter now.. I bought it.. 7.50$ for a nice big sheet of Black acylic.. about 26" x 24"

Chad

where did you buy the stuff?

Chad
10-10-2003, 06:03 AM

Chad

where did you buy the stuff?

A place in Langley called Industrial Plastics.