PDA

View Full Version : Aquagiant help

Pufferfreak
02-10-2010, 01:53 AM
Hi everyone,

I joined this site not realizing it's for reef aquarists. I seen the Canada part and jumped in. :redface:

Anyway, my question is to those with an Aquagiant aquarium. I purchased a used 120 gallon just before Christmas and am now experiencing lighting problems. I'm now down to 1 regular and 1 blue bulb. I've purchased 3 bulbs in as many weeks and they keep burning out, either immediately or within a few days. Is this normal for these brands? Have anyone else experienced this and if so, what have you done? Is it the ballast that needs replacing or a part of it? I'm under the impression the tank is 2 years old. This is so frustrating, I want to scream.

Also, are you experiencing microbubbles from having a canopy filter?

I'm beginning to think I made a mistake in making this expensive purchase.

Thanks.

Murminator
02-10-2010, 05:09 AM
Never had any experience with any of their lights but anything else I have bought from there have been pure junk low quality so I would assume the lights are not any better.

Funky_Fish14
02-10-2010, 05:45 AM
If the whole system is that old then I am not sure you'd still be covered under warranty but you should at least try to get it switched out. The bulbs though SHOULD be covered, I would definitely bring them back. If they keep burning out then something is probably wrong with the ballast/fixture.

Unfortunately Murray kind of hit the nail on the head... The quality of those fixtures (I know several people with them as garbage ornaments) is not very good.

Miso
02-10-2010, 10:10 AM
I bought a 110g from them a few months ago and as far as keeping fresh water fish, I never had a problem with it.

The lights are still working very well when I sold it to upsize.

If you are having problems with it, take the canopy back to them and see what they have to say?

Doug
02-10-2010, 01:24 PM
Moving to the equipment forum for you. Should get some more answers. I could also move it to the freshwater section if you wish.

Pufferfreak
02-10-2010, 06:11 PM
I wish I had known this problem in advance or I wouldn't have purchased it. It was exactly what I was looking for as far as looks but I'm starting to think I made a huge mistake.

I bought the tank used so I doubt there will be any warranty. It will be difficult to bring the canopy to the store as I live 2 hours away. I called last night and the person I need to speak with is out of town for the next 3 weeks.

Thanks for moving the thread for me Doug.

Funky_Fish14
02-10-2010, 06:36 PM
At least try to get the lights exchanged if they are only weeks old!

Pufferfreak
02-10-2010, 06:43 PM
I have been bringing the lights back for refunds, the last one was $34, crazy price for a light. I can't get more at that store as I did it twice already. The other chain in Red Deer don't have any in the size I need so now I have to check out Calgary on the weekend. Then I'll have to see what's going on with the fixture but the lighting area is so darn hard to access....big tank, little person, lol.

Could condensation from the water be making the bulbs burn out as they are getting wet? Could that be a possibility?

Miso
02-11-2010, 01:58 AM
Where are you getting your lights from? When I bought mine, I was told you had to buy their "brand" of bulbs, I'm thinking because they're manufactured in China.

You should also try to match the wattages when you go to Aquagiant. Bring in the original ones or tell them which canopy you have and they should be able to find you a replacement one.

I was told they would burn out if you don't use the ones they supply, hope that helps.

Pufferfreak
02-11-2010, 02:35 AM
Hi Miso,
I've been getting the bulbs from Pet Smart and they burned out either immediately or in less than a week. Well, that changes things if I have to buy their brand of lights. Weird though as one would think the canopy would be universal. The lights on their website are super cheap compared to other pet stores. Looks like I'll be heading up to Edmonton this weekend to get some lights. Fortunately, the person I purchase the tank from has spare lights that she's holding on for me. I'll get those and maybe more from the store.

Thanks so much for that information. I'll be calling them tomorrow to find out what store will have the proper bulbs as I also need a new plexi glass.

I attached a picture of the style I have as well as the filter system.

prodogg02
02-11-2010, 03:13 AM
i use gesman bulbs in mt aquagiant 48 x2x54 t5ho fixture from there and its as good as my hagen glo t5ho which also has gesman i know they dont compare to the high end but they work good on my 75 gallon i only hav zoos and mush for coral i hav the aquagiant 10000k white bulbs in as well for 3 month with no issuses.

Pufferfreak
02-11-2010, 03:33 AM
Hi prodogg02,
Did you all those bulbs from Aquagiant?

Pufferfreak
02-12-2010, 12:47 AM
Well, I'm not long off the phone with the store and he confirmed that I have to use their bulbs, hmmm. Weird. Guess I'll be making a trip to Edmonton this weekend. Thanks everyone for all your help.:smile:

Miso
02-12-2010, 02:07 AM
GL, hopefully the bulbs work out for ya.

Pufferfreak
02-12-2010, 02:10 AM
Thanks Miso, I could use a little luck with this tank.

Pufferfreak
02-18-2010, 12:46 AM
Update:

I drove all the way up to Edmonton on Monday and picked up 4 39W bulbs at $20 each as well as 2 plexiglass covers for the lights as mine was broken, thinking water is getting up there and burning out the bulbs. I had the filter turned off as I removed the original plexi glass to bring up for exact measurments. BIG MISTAKE. Water managed to get up in the canopy anyway and not only broke the remaining bulbs but probably ruined the ballast.

So, after all that time and money, I now have only 1 light working. I also found out after getting home, the canopy also takes 4 24W bulbs for which I didn't buy any of. It takes 4 24W and 2 39W.

Oh, the frustration. :mad: Now, it looks like I'll have to bring the whole canopy back up to Edmonton to have it fixed once and for all. Who knows how much THAT will cost.

Thanks for allowing me to vent.

Doo
02-22-2010, 05:28 PM
You can probably get an electronic ballast for under $50 which are super easy to install. You can find them at:

Litemor Distributors Ltd
www.litemor.com
18003 114 Avenue Northwest
Edmonton, AB T5S 1T8, Canada
(780) 451-6525

I can't imagine not being able to seal the canopy with either silicon or epoxy for another $10...

Pufferfreak
02-22-2010, 06:08 PM
Thanks for the information Doo,
But would they have the ballast that fits an Aquagiant? I can't even get bulbs anywhere else but there. I was told I will be charged $20 to fix it but who knows what it will cost for parts.