PDA

View Full Version : Two-part kills clam!

Starry
02-09-2010, 10:36 PM
I just stated dosing 2 part the other day, and now I fear my clam is on its way out. Also the deep water acro right beside it is burnt on 1 side. Both are in the path of my return from the sump where I add the 2 part. I used Randys 2 part recipe except I used Kents turbo calcium (-20% as recomended), and Arm & Hammer BS baked 1hr at 300. My guess is that the calcium is the culprit.

The clam is spewing white slime and is "gaping"...think it's a gonner?

OceanicCorals-Ian-
02-09-2010, 10:39 PM
I just stated dosing 2 part the other day, and now I fear my clam is on its way out. Also the deep water acro right beside it is burnt on 1 side. Both are in the path of my return from the sump where I add the 2 part. I used Randys 2 part recipe except I used Kents turbo calcium (-20% as recomended), and Arm & Hammer BS baked 1hr at 300. My guess is that the calcium is the culprit.

The clam is spewing white slime and is "gaping"...think it's a gonner?

Yikes!

I am pretty sure the Kent Turbo Calcium might have something to do with it; although, I cannot be sure. Make sure the two parts are dosed into a sump and have plenty of time to dilute before they make it to the display, also do not does all at once, break up the dosages if possible to multiple times per day.

Hope your situation improves.

christyf5
02-09-2010, 10:44 PM
You really need to be careful when adding the two part and make sure you add it slowly and in an area with good circulation. Its pretty strong stuff and if its not diluted with tank water it can really cause some damage. Next time try adding it slowly where water enters the sump. Or you can rig up a drip system for it.

Hard to say about the clam, it might perk up over the next few days. Keep an eye on it, if the mantle starts to shrink into the shell its likely on its way out IMO.

Also, don't use kents turbo calcium as a regular part of your 2 part regime. The turbo calcium is only meant to get your calcium levels up as a one time thing (hit your target levels with the turbo calcium and then maintain it with another product). Turbo calcium is calcium chloride and you don't to be adding too much chloride to your tank (your fish have to export it from their system and they can only handle so much). Switch to a calcium carbonate based additive which is much safer for your tank.

Starry
02-09-2010, 10:59 PM
K, thanks for the tips. I was only adding 15ml of solution to a total of 90 gallons system volume. The solution is mixed at 2 cups of Turbo Calcium to 1 gallon R/O water. Clam is defiantly dead (sucked out remains as to not pollute tank). Was only very little flesh on the mantle and looking in could see the base of the shell. Hope the acro recovers as it had just encrused the plug it's on. Guess I'll learn not to play with things that dont need fixing. I was getting slow growth on my sps.. just not as fast I'd have liked...I bought the clam about 9-10 months ago and it had about doubled in size even though it attached itself 1/2 under a rock ledge. RIP little Crocea clam!

Starry
02-10-2010, 02:01 PM

Reefer Rob
02-10-2010, 02:36 PM
Also, don't use kents turbo calcium as a regular part of your 2 part regime. The turbo calcium is only meant to get your calcium levels up as a one time thing (hit your target levels with the turbo calcium and then maintain it with another product). Turbo calcium is calcium chloride and you don't to be adding too much chloride to your tank (your fish have to export it from their system and they can only handle so much). Switch to a calcium carbonate based additive which is much safer for your tank.

What are you using as a calcium additive Christy?

christyf5
02-10-2010, 03:15 PM
What are you using as a calcium additive Christy?

LOL, I just looked and its the calcium from chemmaster which is calcium chloride. :redface:

Ok, so basically I was just repeating the warnings from others that have told me that turbo calcium is to get your levels up and then you should use a product like kent liquid calcium to maintain it. It could very well be that turbo calcium is just stronger or mixed up stronger. I was told the excess chloride in the system could be detrimental but if we're all dosing cacl from randys 2 part then I guess its not so bad after all. I really should research this stuff before I open my mouth. I still think turbo calcium isn't the product to be using on a regular basis but thats just my opinion.

I still think pre-mixing is important. Perhaps if it is mixed up in a gallon batch and the 15 ml is decanted into a large cup of water prior to dosing into the sump it might be diluted before it hits any corals or critters.

Reefer Rob
02-10-2010, 04:02 PM
I don't think 15ml of calcium chloride solution could kill a clam, thats about a tablespoon!

More likely culprit, but still a long shot would be the baked baking soda. The PH of that solution is extremely high and need to be dose very carefully.

I've played with various mixtures of sodium bicarbonate (Arm & Hammer) and sodium carbonate (high density food grade) for 3 years, and I found that all things considered straight baking soda works the best.

OceanicCorals-Ian-
02-10-2010, 04:26 PM
i don't think 15ml of calcium chloride solution could kill a clam, thats about a tablespoon!

More likely culprit, but still a long shot would be the baked baking soda. The ph of that solution is extremely high and need to be dose very carefully.

I've played with various mixtures of sodium bicarbonate (arm & hammer) and sodium carbonate (high density food grade) for 3 years, and i found that all things considered straight baking soda works the best.

+1