PDA

View Full Version : Noise Level with Sequence pumps?

Dyspnea
02-09-2010, 05:03 PM
I'm looking to for a pump to run my planned closed loop system, But since this tank will be in a living area I need a pump that runs quietly as possible. The pump linked below suits my needs the best however I'm curious about the amount of noise they produce.

Any one own a Sequence pump? or have experience with them?

http://www.jlaquatics.com/product/wp-seq02/ReeFlo+External+Water+Pump+-+Barracuda+%284500GPH%29.html

The Codfather
02-09-2010, 05:26 PM
I run a super dart gold. Barely just a hum, the fans on my lights are louder.

christyf5
02-09-2010, 05:36 PM
I'm running a dart and its nice and quiet, I wish my skimmer pump was as quiet.

tlo
02-09-2010, 05:44 PM
i had a dart - not the gold series and I found it very noisy. I hated it.

I traded it in for posiden - love this pump!!!!

Dyspnea
02-09-2010, 05:53 PM
i had a dart - not the gold series and I found it very noisy. I hated it.

I traded it in for posiden - love this pump!!!!

Yeah i had the old T4's, loved it, not a sound, but it got really hot.

Dyspnea
02-09-2010, 05:54 PM
the super darts are quiet are they, good to know

The Codfather
02-09-2010, 06:10 PM
One thing to consider is to go to the gold model, a few dollars more but a more efficient and quieter motor. Just my 2 cents.

lastlight
02-09-2010, 06:10 PM
My dart gold was also pretty quiet. Just a really steady and consistent soft whir that was fine in my living room.

sphelps
02-09-2010, 06:36 PM
While I haven't heard these "Gold" darts before, I've used the regular ones many times and they are way too noisy for my liking, especially in a living room. Perhaps in a completely sealed and insulated cabinet with vibration pads it might be OK but otherwise too noisy. The other problem with them is the seals tend to fail which leads to bearing failure and that's a real noise.

On my new tank I broke down and bough an RD which was expensive but man am I ever glad I bought it. The noisiest thing in the room is the hard drive in my PVR box followed by the buzz from my halide bulbs (not ballasts). The pump is unbelievably quiet and worth every penny. I think if people could actually see how quiet these pumps are they would be a lot more popular, I will never go back.

I realise I probably opened a huge can of worms by mentioning the red dragon so I'll sum up by saying buy the gold dart and if that's too noisy save up and trade it in for an RD.

banditpowdercoat
02-09-2010, 06:47 PM
WHat model RD? how much GPM?

sphelps
02-09-2010, 06:53 PM
WHat model RD? how much GPM?
I'm running the 6.5 which is rated at just over 1700GPH

mark
02-09-2010, 07:10 PM
had my sound meter out last night for a thread on RC.

My standard Dart comes in a 52-53dB at about 4 feet away with the cabinet door open. It's quiet enough don't notice it during the day doing normal things around the house. Midnight, TV is off, everyone else in bed and I'm going to read a book on the couch beside the tank, noticeable hum but not any louder than the water going over the lip of the overflow chamber and dropping a inch or two.

After about 2 years bearings when on the Dart and Reeflo sent a replacement, it was noticeably louder. Complained and got a second replacement, that one the noise level was about the same as the original

Barracuda different beast, is about 64 db, close to vacuum cleaner loud. My opinion way too loud for under a display. Okay if running a basement sump (my use) or inwall where the fish room is isolated.

Dyspnea
02-09-2010, 07:11 PM
red dragons are a bit too pricey at this point, ourwise I'll have to cut out new halides :p