PDA

View Full Version : Serious this time. about down grading When 2-3 months or sooner

Skimmerking
02-09-2010, 02:24 PM
Well I gave it some thought and Im going to be going to down grade. When don't know soon I hope. lights here filter's there this and that, Im always seem to be spending something on the tank would like to spend it on something else like my civic. I want simple so I can have a good doser to run all and not worry about this and that and want to do the balling method and with a top grade controller. plus Im thinking that i only want a few prize SPs and alot of high prized LPS and softies in my tank, ya it sounds like well you have that now but when I go away there is so much that the misses has to look after. I have so much equipment too that i can sell and get all the fancy stuff.

The Algae is always getting to me too the bubble is starting to take over, red turf i can never seem to get a hold of it. im really liking a few smal fish and that is it the big fish is nice ,but to much now.
Im looking at just doing a single light 250 or 150 W, im looking towards probably a cube like a 60 24x24x20 or a long like 36x20x20 somthing different. with a nice stand that i can have out the 150 will be probably a few bigger fish FW like oscar's or a few FW puffer's

Going to be having alot of gears to sell or to may be down grade. once I give the gohead that Im going
in the future of selling

huge BARR's Aquatic Kalk Stirrer KR3020
BK SM 250 :cry: should have kept the deltec 851 might trade some one for a smaller one or sell it
new single Galaxy Ballast
dual galaxy Ballast
crap load of timer's the high grade ones
2 lumenarc's
aquapro 150W /2x 65W PC actinic's
alot of ROck that i will have if some one is looking for good filtering i should have over 150 lbs to sell .
alot of SPS to sell too huge colonies too.

Looking for
needing to buy a controller PRoflux
doser pumps PROFLux
smaller skimmer BK say 180/200
ehiem return pump
better heater's to work with the controller

banditpowdercoat
02-09-2010, 02:39 PM
Things I may be interested in, depending on how much $$$ the Mrs lets me have at the time LOL

Kalk Stirrer
Single Galaxy ballast
Lumenarc. Are they SE or DE? Would really like another 250W DE to keep mine all the same

Leah
02-09-2010, 03:28 PM
Hey lazy reefer guy! :wink:

globaldesigns
02-09-2010, 04:39 PM
Wow, you downgrade? I can't believe it.

If you do, let me know about the BK, I may be interested.

saltynuts
02-09-2010, 04:55 PM
would you ship any corals mike.

christyf5
02-09-2010, 05:08 PM
Dude are you nuts? A small tank is just as much work as a big tank (except for the waterchange part which can be made easier). Get the controller and the dosing pump and stop wasting your money on skimmers :razz:
Make your tank relatively bulletproof..play the "what if" game and figure a solution so it doesn't happen. Teach your wife how to work the controller, they're pretty easy.

Then again you seem to really enjoy the buying/selling/set-up aspect of the hobby so fill yer boots :wink:

Joe Reefer
02-09-2010, 08:03 PM
I agree with Christy, smaller tank is just as much work. Give me a call sometime I may have dosing pumps etc. that will work for you if you want to go that route.

Skimmerking
02-09-2010, 08:27 PM
pm me your number havent talk to you in awhile may be you can talk some sence into my brain,

wait a minute i don't have one.:wink:

mark
02-09-2010, 08:55 PM
but you have a in-wall, can't see giving one of those up

Ryan
02-09-2010, 09:04 PM
I have taken a good look at the JBJ 28G with the LED lights. They look like an excellent little system maybe take a look at those for the downgrade?

kien
02-09-2010, 09:06 PM
maybe list what chores your wife is actually doing while you're away? I know I'm curious. Maybe some of us can help you spend some money to cut down on those chores with some automation or elimination of said chore ? When I go on holiday my tank sitter typically only comes in every other day just to make sure there is still water in the tank. Even then I have my controller email me if the water gets too low :biggrin:

banditpowdercoat
02-09-2010, 09:26 PM
maybe list what chores your wife is actually doing while you're away? I know I'm curious. Maybe some of us can help you spend some money to cut down on those chores with some automation or elimination of said chore ? When I go on holiday my tank sitter typically only comes in every other day just to make sure there is still water in the tank. Even then I have my controller email me if the water gets too low :biggrin:

Ya what chores does she do, maybe can give list to my wife so she CAN do them fro me too LOL

hillbillyreefer
02-09-2010, 09:26 PM
Everyone that's posted in this thread is obviously an addict. Asmodeus wants to downgrade and everyone here is trying to talk him out of it!!!!

As for Mike's crazy talk, don't do it man!!! You'll just have to spend a bunch more to get back in later!!!

banditpowdercoat
02-09-2010, 09:30 PM
Everyone that's posted in this thread is obviously an addict. Asmodeus wants to downgrade and everyone here is trying to talk him out of it!!!!

As for Mike's crazy talk, don't do it man!!! You'll just have to spend a bunch more to get back in later!!!

Can you see Mike with a tank smaller than his skimmer!!!!:razz:

hillbillyreefer
02-09-2010, 09:49 PM
How would he explain that to his reefing buddies with skimmer envy?

banditpowdercoat
02-09-2010, 09:52 PM
How would he explain that to his reefing buddies with skimmer envy?

Ya that's what, pretty much the rest of us on Canreef??? LOL

christyf5
02-09-2010, 09:56 PM
maybe list what chores your wife is actually doing while you're away? I know i'm curious. Maybe some of us can help you spend some money to cut down on those chores with some automation or elimination of said chore ? When i go on holiday my tank sitter typically only comes in every other day just to make sure there is still water in the tank.

+1

Skimmerking
02-09-2010, 10:34 PM
Well TaMMY TELLS ME THAT IM RIGHT OUT OF IT. Here I thought that she had to do all this stuff and she is telling me that Mike I do alot of stuff ,but the tank is pretty much is auto. may be im getting sick of the rock work and the way it looks

may be its time to seriously look at a doser system and a controller. tammy was talking about the timers going on and off. and the temp going for a crap....

may be its just time for a change.:sad:

blueyota
02-10-2010, 12:57 AM
Get a controller you will not regret it i just got the apex by neptune this thing is fun and now with it all setup it will send me a text to my phone and email me if something gos wrong and i can turn anything on or off from the net anywhere in the world ( a little peace of mind )

Skimmerking
02-10-2010, 12:59 AM
ya waiting for a quote on a proflux controller:redface:

PoonTang
02-10-2010, 02:22 AM
Smacks Mike in side of head. LISTEN TO CHRISTIE ! You will only wind up upgrading in a year or so because your little tank wont hold all the cool stuff you want.
(Now runs and hides in corner.....Mike has a BIG gun) :(

Delphinus
02-10-2010, 06:29 AM
Really, you'd give him a whole year? I was thinking 3-4 months tops. Sorry Mike but you know it's true. :p

Speaking as someone with a big tank and a small tank BTW ... small tank is nowhere near less work than the big. In fact, it's worse. I can get away with monthly water changes on the big tank .. not so with the small tank, it's weekly or it starts to look like sewage pretty quick. Plus in a small tank there are no real significant livestock choices to help with nuisance algaes like valonia and caulerpa, whereas in a big tank a rabbit or a tang will *usually* make pretty quick work of those. Plus aiptasia, you're on your own to rid yourself of those in a small tank - any fish that fits in a small tank that likes aiptasia (leatherjackets/filefish come to mind - at least when they're small) will usually like your choice LPS as well.

Not that you needed convincing but seriously Mike, keep your current tank and find a way to crutch it along when you're off shooting at mountains!