PDA

View Full Version : Coral Selection?

Eb0la11
02-09-2010, 07:27 AM
Hey guys,

so I'm just now starting to get my parameters in check to really start caring for some cool corals, or so I hope.

I'm trying to decide what types of corals to put in my tank, but I just wanted a little more general information on some things.

I have that ability to keep a wide range of corals, SPS included since I have 250W MHs and also 96W actinics, but I am just not sure if I am not mashing a bunch of corals together that dont work together.

I had a large colony of xenia parish on me as well as my colt coral and I can't seem to figure out why. Everything else is actually starting to do quite well aside from them now that I have started practicing good husbandry and measuring my parameters and dosing.

Right now I have the following corals:

Frogspawn
Favia
Hammer Coral
Green Digitata
Red Monti Cap
Green Monti Cap
Candy Cane Coral
GSP
Zoas (3-4 different types)

and, before they perished, the aforementioned pulsing xenia and colt coral.

So am I mixing corals that shouldnt be kept together?

Im thinking of adding some of, if not eventually all of, the following:

Duncan Coral
Mushrooms (definitely some ricordea and perhaps so other ones maybe hairy or green striped or something)
Sun Coral
Galaxy Coral

I dunno what else, really. But what do you guys think?

Should I really be choosing between SPS, LPS or softies and stick to just one type, or how does it work?

This is a question I feel I shoulda asked way earlier, but too late now haha. Thanks for the replies.

Chin_Lee
02-09-2010, 03:07 PM
i would pass on the sun coral only based on the feeding regime required to keep them alive which usually pollutes your tank in the meanwhile.
I would also pass on the galaxy coral based on its long (very long) deadly sweeper tentacles that will kill all other corals within 8-12 inch diameter

You may wish to consider the following:
rbta
phosynthetic gorgonians
clams
bubble corals (green or white)
lobos

Eb0la11
02-09-2010, 06:48 PM
Thanks Chin Lee,

I think we'll still get the galaxy coral and be sure to give it plenty of room. We have a large area already put aside for one :)

I'll have to look into the corals you mentioned. We also have a GBTA I forgot to mention but a RBTA would be a nice addition for sure.

So am I ok to mix different types though?

kien
02-09-2010, 07:29 PM
Thanks Chin Lee,

I think we'll still get the galaxy coral and be sure to give it plenty of room. We have a large area already put aside for one :)

I'll have to look into the corals you mentioned. We also have a GBTA I forgot to mention but a RBTA would be a nice addition for sure.

So am I ok to mix different types though?

You can mix different types of corals just fine so long as you pay close attention to their different requirements and nuances. Each coral is unique even among its own species. Some like more light than others, some like more flow, some like more feeding, some sting more, less, etc. In the end it really is a crap shoot and there is a lot of trial and error with how things go into a "mixed reef". You can certainly keep all the specimens that you listed but again, you just need to play around with them a bit. Don't put Coral A too close to Coral B because A will sting B will sting C will sting F, etc.. etc.. A "mixed reef" is really an epic battle ground where chemical warfare is waged among the different corals and you as the hobbyist have to play the peace broker :-)

For what its worth, aside from the galaxy coral, I have all of the other corals that you listed in my 150g and they are doing fine :-)

Eb0la11
02-09-2010, 07:52 PM
You can mix different types of corals just fine so long as you pay close attention to their different requirements and nuances. Each coral is unique even among its own species. Some like more light than others, some like more flow, some like more feeding, some sting more, less, etc. In the end it really is a crap shoot and there is a lot of trial and error with how things go into a "mixed reef". You can certainly keep all the specimens that you listed but again, you just need to play around with them a bit. Don't put Coral A too close to Coral B because A will sting B will sting C will sting F, etc.. etc.. A "mixed reef" is really an epic battle ground where chemical warfare is waged among the different corals and you as the hobbyist have to play the peace broker :-)

For what its worth, aside from the galaxy coral, I have all of the other corals that you listed in my 150g and they are doing fine :-)

Thanks Kien, I still wanna see your tank and entire setup. We're still building different components of our tank and Id love to see a well established one with a controller on it etc...

So you have a duncan coral then? Any chance you'd frag it? :biggrin:

MrsBugmaster
02-09-2010, 08:06 PM
Make sure you run carbon when you have softies, especially when you have a mixed reef.

Eb0la11
02-09-2010, 08:22 PM
I have started running carbon, but am trying to find a place to get it at a good deal. Anyone know a place? Also how much should I run for a 200G tank with so far a couple softies and how long should I run it before I change it?

kien
02-11-2010, 03:46 AM
Thanks Kien, I still wanna see your tank and entire setup. We're still building different components of our tank and Id love to see a well established one with a controller on it etc...

So you have a duncan coral then? Any chance you'd frag it? :biggrin:

sure, you're welcome to swing by anytime :-)

oh sorry i don't have any duncans either! (yet) :lol: