PDA

View Full Version : Computer fan speed controller. any wants?

banditpowdercoat
02-08-2010, 02:40 PM
I am placing an electronics order to make some 12v computer fan variable temp/speed controllers. I am wondering if there would be interest? As it sits, you would have to supply a power supply and the fans. The controller will be housed in a plastic box with tangs to be able to screw to the inside of stands, or canopy's, with a temperature adjust dial. Instead of just a ON/OFF style controller, this will vary the fan speed. As temp increases, so will fan speed. Should be able to control up to 25W+/- 5w worth of fan's.

Wondering if there is much interest? Price would be $25-35 range

I got enough supplies for 10 controllers on order

banditpowdercoat
02-08-2010, 06:42 PM
No one want's quieter, automatic cooling fan's?

vic622
02-08-2010, 11:55 PM
Other than the fan & power supply, and of course your controller, is there anything else needed to make a setup?

Would the controller work for multiple fans, or just one (assuming they are using the same on/off/speed as the controller is set at)?

I have a heat problem in my tank cover and this might be what I was looking for.

banditpowdercoat
02-09-2010, 12:03 AM
If it becomes popular, I will probibaly have complete setups with fan, controler and power supply, like Icecaps 4" fan, only with adjustable temp, and with a better price.

For now, the controller will have terminals on it that you can connect a 12v supply of your choice, and up to 25-30W of fan's Alot of 4" fans are 6-10W. So, depending on fan's used, will depend on the number can be used per controller. I am looking into higher wattage capabilities, but I need to see if there is going to be a market. But also, for the price I will be offering these for, it will be well within the reach of most all enthusiasts to even mount 2 in a canopy. Appears price will be in the low end of my estimate scale.

Any more questions, or idea's, fire away!

hillegom
02-09-2010, 12:28 AM
Dan:
What is the temp range that this can be adjusted to/from?
Thanks

banditpowdercoat
02-09-2010, 01:00 AM
Dan:
What is the temp range that this can be adjusted to/from?
Thanks

I havn't checked the full range yet, but I will and post temps. It will have a fairly large temp range. Should be able to cover all temps required

Also, the range of temps will vary slightly depending on load of fans attached to the controller.

vic622
02-09-2010, 01:27 AM
I like the idea of temp flexibility.
I'll need to work out how to jimmy a fan or three in my tank cover, its kinda cramped. If you can put together the controller for $ what you figure, I'll take one.
Let me know when you've got a working set up.
Vic

banditpowdercoat
03-03-2010, 04:09 PM
OK, Update, I have the prototype working on 2 fans in my sump cabinet. Working great. Warm sensor up, fan speeds up, cool it down, fan slows down. My sump pretty much remains constant temp. These would be more benificial in automating Canopy fan's and as I do not yet have a canopy Adjust the Rheostat for the temperature. Takes a little fiddling to get temp setting right because Rheostat is not a set temp for a certain position. It's dependent on the load connected. Change any of the fan's, Add or remove some and the setting will require changing.

Heres a pic of what it will look like. 2 screws on the right for the incoming 12Vdc power supply, and the other 2 for the fan's

First batch of 10 will be at a Introductory Price of $15 ea + shipping

All parts used are RoHS compliant

http://banditpowdercoat.com/Powdergallery/nfpicturepro/albums/userpics/10002/picture0001.jpg

vic622
03-04-2010, 04:09 PM
OK, Update, I have the prototype working on 2 fans in my sump cabinet. Working great. Warm sensor up, fan speeds up, cool it down, fan slows down. My sump pretty much remains constant temp. These would be more benificial in automating Canopy fan's and as I do not yet have a canopy Adjust the Rheostat for the temperature. Takes a little fiddling to get temp setting right because Rheostat is not a set temp for a certain position. It's dependent on the load connected. Change any of the fan's, Add or remove some and the setting will require changing.

Heres a pic of what it will look like. 2 screws on the right for the incoming 12Vdc power supply, and the other 2 for the fan's

First batch of 10 will be at a Introductory Price of $15 ea + shipping

All parts used are RoHS compliant

http://banditpowdercoat.com/Powdergallery/nfpicturepro/albums/userpics/10002/picture0001.jpg
Cool, Dan - You didn't say it would come with a Laptop! :biggrin:

banditpowdercoat
03-04-2010, 04:12 PM
Cool, Dan - You didn't say it would come with a Laptop! :biggrin:

LOL, my HP, Ya I'm about ready to give the POS away, But I'm not that Mean LOL

vic622
03-07-2010, 04:29 AM
LOL, my HP, Ya I'm about ready to give the POS away, But I'm not that Mean LOL
Ya know, if you put it up on Kijiji for way more than its worth, someone is liable to take it off your hands and you won't even need to feel guilty :mrgreen:

cwatkins
03-07-2010, 05:48 AM
Is the temperature sensor inside the black box, or is it external? I.E. A temperature probe for the water, warmer water speeds up the fan.

And how would a person go about ordering one of these?

What type of adapter is needed and where would you get it? 12 VDC or 12 VAC?

Thanks.

banditpowdercoat
03-07-2010, 01:47 PM
Ya know, if you put it up on Kijiji for way more than its worth, someone is liable to take it off your hands and you won't even need to feel guilty :mrgreen:

Ya but what am I gona get with $10??

Is the temperature sensor inside the black box, or is it external? I.E. A temperature probe for the water, warmer water speeds up the fan.

And how would a person go about ordering one of these?

What type of adapter is needed and where would you get it? 12 VDC or 12 VAC?

Thanks.

The temp sender is mounted on the box. I do have a plan for a remote sensor, but finding one that is cost effective, and impervious to Saltwater may take a little bit. Any 9-12vDC supply will work. Those little wall plug in ones that everyone seems to have a ton of, they will work great for these. I mounted an old computer power supply in my sump cabinet. It has ample power to supply any and all fan's and other 12Vdc I need. The supply, however, needs to be able to handle the fan(s) you have connected to it

Main purpose of building these units was to have the quietest fan operation for canopy's etc. When lights are out, canopy is cooler and fans slow down.Lights come on, air in canopy warms, fans speed up. Gets warmer, fans speed even more, until they reach max speed. The dial sets what temp the fans will reach max speed.

I'll be able to ship in a week. Just PM me or email dan@banditpowdercoat.com if you would like one. I accept Paypal or email interac money transfer's same email address for both.

Skimmerking
03-07-2010, 02:11 PM
Don't for get your time there Dan and Add 3% PP fee's :mrgreen:

vic622
03-07-2010, 02:22 PM
PM'd

banditpowdercoat
03-07-2010, 02:30 PM
Ya I know Mike :D I hate the dreaded PP Fee's LOL

And like I said in a previous post, these are the intial trial run, so there at an introductory price. I have more idea's too, like a fan/controller/power supply combo, but need some feedback on what size and numbers of fan's others are using. Reef's are all custom, 1 of a kind, and I want to supply something that will fit that. Not some one size fits all device. And, I'd like to be able to do it at a price even SW noobs won't be scared of LOL I've seen some of the other 12v temp controlled fan's and was scared myself by the price

vic622
03-07-2010, 06:14 PM
I have more idea's too, like a fan/controller/power supply combo, but need some feedback on what size and numbers of fan's others are using. Reef's are all custom, 1 of a kind, and I want to supply something that will fit that. Not some one size fits all device. And, I'd like to be able to do it at a price even SW noobs won't be scared of LOL I've seen some of the other 12v temp controlled fan's and was scared myself by the price
You might be able to take a page from the computer guys and use an universal plug with a "matched" power supply for 1, 2, 3 or whatever number of fans (i.e. load) is required.
If the controller is shielded from the load-side, then the p/s should be able to be whatever you want to hook in.
This might also allow for any sort of supplied unit to be temp-controlled by the same box - like a chiller, beer-cooler ... :)

banditpowdercoat
03-07-2010, 06:45 PM
You might be able to take a page from the computer guys and use an universal plug with a "matched" power supply for 1, 2, 3 or whatever number of fans (i.e. load) is required.
If the controller is shielded from the load-side, then the p/s should be able to be whatever you want to hook in.
This might also allow for any sort of supplied unit to be temp-controlled by the same box - like a chiller, beer-cooler ... :)

Ya something like that for sure could be possible

banditpowdercoat
03-10-2010, 02:21 PM
For those of you worried about power supply's, I am working on getting great pricing on1000Ma power supply's. Should be capable of running 2-4 3" fan's.
I have a couple for testing on order. We'll see if they pass my quality control :D