PDA

View Full Version : tiggerpods sub-tropical/4 mandarin?

phyto4life
02-08-2010, 02:17 AM
does subtropical/tropical mean that they will thrive under tropical condition like in a reef tank or am I better off going with a tropical copepod?

I hear they are found from california to alaska.

I'm asking because I want to culture a large type harpacticoid copepod but a bit smaller then a amphipod

but at the same time I want to culture it and add it and have it survive and breed in a tropical tank

will nitokra lacustris instead be my best bet?

sorry if I asked this before I just want to make sure before I order because it is a bit smaller then the tiggerpod

this will be a main food for a mandarin goby but I heard that the tiggerpods and amphipods are more for seahorses or larger just double checking because other's are saying mandarin's like amphipods and tiggerpods

I'm also a little worried about them being cannibalistic and eating the smaller pods due to the fact my mandarin is small at the moment and not knowing if mandarins exclusively eat tiggerpods

my next question will be where can I get the culture that will allow me to culture?

at this place below they say nitokra lacustris is planktonic would this be true double checking because it is not a calonoid and wanted to know on how it would be planktonic

and also would like to know if I would be able to culture this type of copepod from that bottle? or is there only females or males in each bottle?

http://www.reefcrew.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=17&category_id=7&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=30

Thanks

phyto4life
02-08-2010, 03:12 AM
If nitokra lacustris is the one can someone explain a bit about on how to best feed this type of copepod because I hear that they don't need surton phyto because they can take regular food and turn it in to the proper hufa's or something like that unlike rotifers I believe?

please explain?