PDA

View Full Version : MH Bulbs are a pain

viperfish
02-08-2010, 01:45 AM
I just installed new 250W bulbs and broke the flat ceramic piece on the bottom (where you would put your thumb to push them in) I hope this doesn't affect the performance at all. I think the contacts are too tight in my fixture, I broke the ceramic on the old bulb taking it out so of course I had to fish the pieces out of the tank. What a pain in the #@$%! Anyone broke a piece of the ceramic in their bulb? Any idea if this will have any negative effect? The contacts weren't damaged at all.

pelle31
02-08-2010, 01:47 AM
Done the same thing awhile back. Doesn't seem to affect the bulbs.

viperfish
02-08-2010, 02:00 AM
I finally changed out my 20K AB bulbs for Pheonix 14K, you just about have to wear sunglasses in my living room! I like it! I did have a few choice words when I thought I broke my new bulb.

whatcaneyedo
02-08-2010, 02:32 AM
In my opinion this is the single greatest reason to run mogul instead of double ended bulbs. However I run double ended too and yes I've even broken a bulb trying to push it in. The trick I've learned is to use some needle nose pliers and insert a small finnishing nail into the contacts to space them apart when changing a bulb.

untamed
02-08-2010, 05:07 PM
In my opinion this is the single greatest reason to run mogul instead of double ended bulbs. However I run double ended too and yes I've even broken a bulb trying to push it in. The trick I've learned is to use some needle nose pliers and insert a small finnishing nail into the contacts to space them apart when changing a bulb.

I agree. I will NEVER purchase a DE fixture ever again. I've broken only 1 bulb so far, but that was enough to set my mind for good. Yes, I usually snap off pieces of the ceramic while installing them and that doesn't affect their performance.

Good tip with the finishing nail..I'll give that a try.

lastlight
02-08-2010, 05:10 PM
I guess a very relevant question now is whether the phoenix 14k SE is as good as the DE? That bulb has 'driven' many a person to use DE. I'm still in the decision stage myself...

mark
02-08-2010, 06:39 PM
just wait until the metals clips in the bulb holder don't work (don't hold the bulb, or have bent when trying to insert a bulb) and you have to tear apart you reflector to change them.

globaldesigns
02-08-2010, 07:00 PM
the same thing happened to both of my Ushio bulbs, no biggie. This doesn't affect their operation/performance.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
02-08-2010, 07:13 PM
No such thing as a SE Phoenix bulb (as far as I know).

I find that if I push the bulb in very slow & carefully, not too bad. Try to rush & you're gonna break that ceramic part.

As others mentioned, doesn't seem to affect performance.

Anthony

rynoe
02-08-2010, 07:34 PM
Last time I changed my bulbs I tried a tiny dab of electric grease, makes installling DE bulbs problem free.

pterfloth
02-08-2010, 09:21 PM
I just bought a SE Phoenix 250w 14k bulb from OA. Still burning in. Bluer than the SE 250w 14k Aquaconnect so far.

lastlight
02-08-2010, 10:44 PM
is the SE also an hqi bulb? are you running it as such?

pterfloth
02-08-2010, 10:56 PM

I am running it on an electronic ballast. I found this online though.

Phoenix 250 Watt 14,000K (Single Ended) Features and Benefits:
- 14,000 Kelvin Color Temperature (Crisp White Light/Blue Tint)
- The Best Combination of Color and PAR
- Excellent With or Without Actinic Supplementation
- Operate on a HQI Metal Halide Ballast, Pulse-Start Ballast or Electronic Ballast

banditpowdercoat
02-08-2010, 11:09 PM

I though HQI was a DE variant?

pterfloth
02-08-2010, 11:28 PM
I though HQI was a DE variant?

HQI and DE are not the same although this seems to be a common misconception. HQI is a type of ballast that can run DE and SE bulbs. I ran 3 HQI ballasts firing 3 SE mogul bulbs. If you check Sanjay's lighting reviews, the HQI ballasts provide the highest PAR values for the same bulb vs other ballast types.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/feb2004/feature2.htm

chandigz
02-09-2010, 12:05 AM
I always adjust the clips on the fixture. I loosen the screws, put the bulb in and then tighten the screws.