PDA

View Full Version : Adding a Fuge

burrows14
02-05-2010, 03:07 AM
I am going to be replacing my sump later next week with a 3 chamber 40 gal breeder. 1st compartment is the skimmer and phosban reactor, middle one will be return pump and the 3rd will be a fuge. I plan on using it for nutrient export but also want it to sustain a pod population. Im wondering what I should be adding? I plan on a 5+ DSB(oolitic) some cheato and some LR rubble to house pods and a few nasiaris snails. What else should I add? Ive seen some people with fish and even corals in there. Any input would be great:biggrin:

Cheers
Ray

whatcaneyedo
02-05-2010, 03:58 AM
If your intentions are nutrient export and an area for pods to reproduce then macro algae and rubble are all you need.

no_bs
02-05-2010, 04:03 AM
You can also put some LR in there aswell, gives your pods a place to multiply. Reverse lighting schedule, will help with PH swing at night in the DT. HTH

burrows14
02-05-2010, 04:03 AM
just that simple? Perfect!:mrgreen: I plan on rinsing the sand and seeding it with my DT sand but is there anything else I should be aware of before adding the new sand?

whatcaneyedo
02-05-2010, 04:06 AM
Why are you adding sand?

burrows14
02-05-2010, 04:28 AM
I planned on a DSB in the fuge to help nutrient export. should I scrap that idea and go BB?

cheers
Ray

whatcaneyedo
02-05-2010, 04:43 AM
A DSB doesnt export anything. Growing algae and then pulling it out of the tank is exporting. Too often DSB become a generator for H2S gas that can poison your system. So unless you are certain that you are setting it up correctly I believe that a sandbed over 2" is generally not worth it.

burrows14
02-05-2010, 05:04 AM
ok thanks for the heads up. ill go BB

toxic111
02-05-2010, 05:36 AM
pretty much my set up.. just make sure your skimmer side is large enough for your current skimmer & any that you might want to upgrade too... I just found out the hard way tonight that mine isn't big enough for the Vertex... so its back to the coralife one until I can find something else that will fit.

burrows14
02-05-2010, 05:50 AM
Ha Ha I made the skimmer side big enough for a vertex alpha 200 hahah its my dream skimmer lol You should try a bubble magus nac7. Small foot print and does a wicked job. Its rated for up to 185gal with a light bioload.

pretty much my set up.. just make sure your skimmer side is large enough for your current skimmer & any that you might want to upgrade too... I just found out the hard way tonight that mine isn't big enough for the Vertex... so its back to the coralife one until I can find something else that will fit.

no_bs
02-05-2010, 06:24 AM
After alot of reasearch and deliberation, this should be my course of action. If i have read corectly "H2S" lowers the PH. So if having a DSB on a reverse light cycly, It should counter balance the PH swing. Correct? If setup corectly, should end up being maintance free. IMO, this to be a pure reef, with an abundance of life, cultured or bought.

http://www.ronshimek.com/deep_sand_beds.html

Funky_Fish14
02-05-2010, 07:11 AM
Perhaps a layer of 'thick-grain' sand (or crushed coral, whatever you wish to use) may encourage more pod growth. Live rock rubble will probably allow for much more surface area than large chunks of live rock for pod reproduction, and the algae will also harbour these critters. The thin layer of sand(Im talking less than 1 inch, perhaps 1/2") (provided your sump functions correctly and removes mechanical waste before it reaches the refugium) should not become 'soiled' or dirty, and the rubble and and algae are really all you need. As aforementioned, the removal of algae that grows will provide your true nutrient export from the fuge. Also, before you remove algae from the fuge when you are 'cleaning'... give it a real good shake to shake loose any pods that are on it. TONS of pods and larvae will come off (though you may not see them). It'll feed your tank and you wont be taking any out of the system.

Cheers,

Chris