PDA

View Full Version : Current USA - Sunpod 48" 2 - 250 mh and LEDS

Fragzilla
02-05-2010, 03:03 AM
Any thoughts on this light out there?

What about no T5s?

How well do the LEDS work?

I can get this light new for a good price but don't know if it is any good or not.

I don't want to regret a purchase.

Price being a factor any other suggestions

thanks

Jeff

Pazil
02-05-2010, 03:42 AM
Jeff I have the 36" light (same config) and have been using it for over a year with no problems. Very happy with it. LED's are a bit dim for me but my tank is 27" high as well.

globaldesigns
02-05-2010, 03:59 AM
I was looking at the 60inch version, MH and T5's are nice. T5's have seperate reflectors which are good.

Reason I didn't buy was for 2 reasons:
1.) LED's are not that bright
2.) MH ballasts are magnetic, not electronic

so I kept my Coralife unit, as it had better LED's, and I confirmed with Coralife that the magnetic ballasts that come with it do push out 250Watts. some magnetics don't do that.

Otherwise the Current USA are good products overall.

Fragzilla
02-05-2010, 04:17 AM
Thanks!

would I miss the atinics with this light?

Moon lights are not going to make or break what I buy.

Pazil - good to know you like it! if you were out shopping for a light again would you buy the same one?

Jeff

globaldesigns
02-05-2010, 04:23 AM
Thanks!

Pazil - good to know you like it! if you were out shopping for a light again would you buy the same one?

Jeff

I don't think the moonlights are that big of a deal, you could always replace them. Big Al's has them running, you can see it there. They even have 3 different MH's in theirs so you can see the difference.

Don't buy it from there though, they are too expensive. The online store for them is about $400 cheaper, if they still have them. The store won't match the website, as they are 2 seperate entities.

Personally, I would buy the Coralife over the other. Reason is that it has 1Watt LED moon lights. This isn't common, and they are great. It is very quite. And I confirmed the magnetic ballasts that come with it, do push a realistic 250Watts (as per Coralife Tech's on the phone). Basically the same type of unit, but better LED's. Only difference is the it is Compact PC, which are 96Watt, more wattage and brighter (I think)

I am running my coralife unit now with Pheonix 14K with 10K/Actinics PC's and like the overall look. Very clean and bright looking with no yellowing.

I hope this helps.

Pazil
02-06-2010, 01:43 AM
Thanks!

Jeff

For the price it is a great light... I would buy it again.