PDA

View Full Version : looking for a quieter submersible pump in sump?

dentin
09-29-2003, 12:18 AM
I'm currently using a Rio 2500 submersible pump and it gives a hum that is starting to annoy. My sump is not drilled, therefore I need to stick to a submersible. Any suggestions? :neutral:

ed99
09-29-2003, 02:41 AM
I've got a Mag 12 submersible and it makes a lot of noise as well, though I've been told they are as quiet as they get. My tank is in a corner on a hardwood floor so it seems to act like a big speaker. Putting carpet underlay under the sump and wrapping the pump with with a rubber hose has helped reduce the noise, but not as much as I hoped.

Ed

Quinn
09-29-2003, 02:49 AM
Interestingly, my Mag9.5 is louder than my Mag12, which is nearly silent.

powerboy
09-29-2003, 03:54 AM
maybe try to suspend the pump mid water so to speak.. try some rubber tie downs or something inert and hang the pump, maybe this will help you out...

sort of like this..

side view of the sump.... a little hokey, but you get the picture :biggrin:

well it seems my attempt at ascii art didnt quite post as well as i would have hoped, so you will have to imagine it

fishnut
09-29-2003, 04:16 AM
A thick sponge pad or a thick piece of filter floss pad may help to reduce the noise.

dentin
09-30-2003, 01:48 AM
Thanks to all for the suggestions. I'm going to try the thick sponge/pad idea first. I've also heard the Mag 12 is the quietest. :smile: