PDA

View Full Version : Refugium question

boots
02-04-2010, 04:15 PM
I an starting a 33 gallon refug and i an wondering about flow.should i put a power head in or just rely on the main pump?i have started with just the main pump at about one quarter open is this sufficient ?should there be low flow so that the macro can absorb the nitrats and phosphates?
Thanks boots

hillegom
02-04-2010, 04:31 PM
What is the flow through your pump, with the amount of elbows and head back to the display tank (DT)? How much flow through your skimmer?
Flow through your pump should be just a little more than all your filters/skimmers combined.
But there are a lot of people that have a lot more and still have good results. Depends as well on your sump configuration. Not all the water into the sump has to go through the refugium.

boots
02-04-2010, 04:47 PM
I an running a sedra 9000 .there are 5 elbows 1 ball valve .i an not shure what the gpm is at the moment.unfortunately my refug has to be run out of the sump so i am drawing the water after the skimmer and returning it to the inlet of the main pump for the dt.

whatcaneyedo
02-04-2010, 10:37 PM
What kind of algae are you growing in your refugium? If its chaeto or gracillaria you want enough flow to cause it to roll. That way the algae mass receives light all the way around and grows more efficiently. If you're growing caulerpa you dont need very much flow at all.

mark
02-04-2010, 10:47 PM
for my 20g fuge feeding about ~200gph from one of the drains then have a 300gph power head. Grows Chaeto nice.

boots
02-05-2010, 03:04 PM
Thanks for the replys !
When i got home i opened the valve a little and got the cheto to a slow roll but when i get the cheto the guy at the lfs said that i could also add and i can't remember the name of it for the life of me but i will try to disscribe it to you .its red not so much stringy it has small green tips wich i think is the new groth and the guy at the fish store said that it was good for feeding to my fish .i will try and get a pic up tonight.
And the reason for of telling you this is that when i open the valve and get too much flow going on it blows this red stuff all around.do i just need to let it get setteld
thanks again

princesuhaib
02-05-2010, 03:20 PM
I have a Koralia 1 in mine