PDA

View Full Version : Euro Reef Help

no_bs
02-04-2010, 04:55 AM
Today my skimmer decided to overflow. I have cleaned the ventury, air line, pump. There is no blockages. Pump,pumps fine. The buble line is all the way to the bottom. Usually the line is about 3" of the bottom. It seems like there is a blockage, but there is none. Any sugestions.

globaldesigns
02-04-2010, 05:30 AM
That is very wierd, especially if there were no blockages.

Did you by chance use any 2-part aquarium epoxy, glue of any sort. They can disrupt the surface tension of the water and make skimmers go crazy. Crazy being overflowing.

no_bs
02-04-2010, 04:18 PM
I'm going to tear it apart again today, and see what happens. I'll try and get a pic up, maybe a vid.

rstar
02-04-2010, 04:52 PM
Was the output of the skimmer submerged? Mine used to be and the skimmer used to overflow all the time. The output has to have no restriction against it at all.

lngrhaul
02-04-2010, 06:29 PM
is there any change to the level of water the skimmer is sitting in? I've found that if my water level is too high, the skimmer overflows.

no_bs
02-04-2010, 06:45 PM
Water height is constant. Skimmer sits in 6.5". Output is 1/2" above water. The only thing new is the sump. Mine broke monday night. So got it replaced by tuesday night. Skimmer worked great till Wed. afternoon, then overflow she goes. Hopefully it is just the new tank, and the work done. It just doesn't explain why it would overflow all of a sudden.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
02-04-2010, 07:35 PM
Might be something in the sump. Could be new silicone, could be something leaching from the silicone, etc. If so, probably a temporary problem till the leaching stops.

no_bs
02-05-2010, 12:47 AM
Thanks everyone. I figured out what i did wrong.

Thanks again.

Chase31
02-05-2010, 01:08 AM
what did you do wrong and how did you fix it (for other people having the same problems)

no_bs
02-05-2010, 04:07 AM
We'll just call it a momentary laps in judgement. I'm to embarrassed to say what happened. Thanks again.

globaldesigns
02-05-2010, 04:11 AM
Oh come on, tell us. We all do things that are stupid.

Try turning on a pump and not putting the hosing connections back together and then having to clean up several gallons of salt water. Also having to replace my Coralife Timer ($60) because the salt water fried it.

See we all do dumb things. Now tell us!!! Please!!!

Ken
02-05-2010, 10:17 PM
Hey I like guessing games, hmmm what could it be

rstar
02-06-2010, 02:15 AM
hehe my money is on not plugging the air hose in lol

no_bs
02-06-2010, 04:36 PM
Ok, it started Monday with our sump breaking, then a few hours later our hot water tank blew. Fine fixed the sump buy Tuesday night. In the mean time, the wife went to beeve's house for some corals. All good so far. Well i made a dip for the corals, dipped them and left the dip solution on top of the tank. Proceeded to cleanup after the sump episode, and the water tank. I went to top up some fw in the sump, and noticed that there was water in my water jug, bonus. Filled it up only 2l worth. A little while later i noticed all the corals looked not to well. Strange. That is when i asked for input. Well the next day after talking to a few people, i realized what i did. I topped up with the dip soloution. Crap. That's why the skimmer went nuts. I let the skimmer run nuts, it took about 4 hours for the skimmer to somewhat settle down. Now it is back to normal. Also Thursday i sold a big tank, which after being loaded and taken to it's new home i noticed a large glass chip by the stand. So now the tank is being returned. 3 big hits in one week not to bad. So moral to this story. When **** rolls down hill step aside and and keep a cool head, and remember the routine.