PDA

View Full Version : RODI Unit Maintenence

balistidae
02-03-2010, 08:38 PM
Just wondering how often people are replacing filters/membranes etc..I only make about 15gallons a week.
Thanks for any replies

Chase31
02-03-2010, 10:54 PM
get a tds meter and once it reads 1 time to replace some

xtreme
02-03-2010, 11:04 PM
I believe it is recommended that the pre and carbon filters be changed every 6 months or so. The better shape they are in the longer your membrane will last. The DI resin is good until your TDS starts reading greater than 0. As for the membrane I am not sure how you know when it needs to be replaced, I am curious myself. IIRC you can expect them to last 2-5 years.

Funky_Fish14
02-03-2010, 11:27 PM
Lol I change pre-filters every 2 months or so and get 6 months to a year out of my membranes.

But I also make over 100g a week with well-water. Its all about the TDS. Get a pen or meter or some sort. I use two different pens to test/confirm.

globaldesigns
02-04-2010, 12:20 AM
I have a inline TDS meter that measure water in and out. I don't use DI, so I get TDS of 1 after filtering. Once this starts to increase I usually do a backflush to return it back to 1. Once backflushing doesn't work, then it is time to replace. Usually this is 1-1.5 years.

mark
02-04-2010, 01:00 AM
I evaporate about 2g/day then water changes.

I try to remember to change the pre-filters about every 6 months. In the ~5 years been running the system I've only changed the membrane once.

From an old e-mail from Aqua-safe:
When to change the filters:
PRE FILTERS: We recommend changing the Pre filters every 6 or 12 months depending on use. If your average use is approx 2-3 gallons a day then you would change them every 12 months, if your average use is approx 5-6 gallons a day then you would change them every 6 months. or Adjust accordingly for a higher average use ie. for 300 gallons a month you would need to change the filters every 3 months.

POST FILTER: The Post Carbon Final filter for taste and odor only needs to be changed ever other time from the Pre filters.

DI FILTER (Maximus and Aquarium model only): If you have a DI filter (Refillable Clear Canister with DI Resin beads) you change it when the DI completely exhausts (changes color), how long it lasts varies from system to system depending on your use and TDS. If you have the older style white disposable DI filter you change it when the water starts tasting funny or the TDS goes up.
The 6oz DI canister lasts the average family approx 3-4 months.

RO MEMBRANE: The membrane generally lasts 2-5 years. We recommend manually flushing the membrane once a month along with changing the filters every 6-12 months to prolong the life of the membrane.

BWI
02-04-2010, 02:29 AM
agree