PDA

View Full Version : What's the quietest hang on skimmer?

Dogmai
09-28-2003, 09:33 PM
Hi

Currently I have the BakPak 2 skimmer, which my better half finds annoyingly loud. I'm looking to replace it, and I'm interested to know other people's experiences with other skimmers. To put it bluntly, I'm looking for an absolutely silent/near silent skimmer.. if one does exist. I have a 50g reef tank.

Also, if anyone has any suggestions for dampening the sound of skimmers.. that would also be welcomed. I have already extended the air intake hose, wihch helped a little bit.

Thanks,

Mike

UnderWorldAquatics
09-28-2003, 10:35 PM
I find that the Excaliber skimmers are almost silent, made as in sump or hang on models in 75gallon and 150gallon ratings, i am currently using one of the hang on 150gallon models on the sump of our 26bow mini reef, a little on the overkill side but it was hanging around, very quiet and very good skimming

AJ_77
09-28-2003, 10:42 PM
I agree with deepblue, I've got one of those hanging off a 50, and it's in the TV room, and I hate noise as well... It has the lowest noise level I've witnessed firsthand.

Dogmai
09-28-2003, 11:39 PM
Thanks for the reply both of you, really appreciate it :)

Mike.

sumpfinfishe
09-29-2003, 05:27 AM
Hi Mike,
I run a Prizm skimmer in my sump, which is also in my bedroom along with my reef. As for noise levels, your always going to get some noise when you mix large amounts of air and water together. My Prizm does make some noise but that's only from the mixing, no pump noise-which is what pleases me. :mrgreen: It's not a bad skimmer, however my 27gl is fully stocked so I think I need to upgrade. When I get a larger skimmer I know I'm going to have to pay the price of alittle more noise, thus more air and water to skim more volume.

Goodluck :biggrin:
cheers, Rich

robbyville
09-29-2003, 06:13 PM
I use the prism pro deluxe and when properly tuned it is not too bad. That being said, I would not go out and buy another one. I have heard wonderful things about the Remora pro in regards to efficiency and noise levels.

Good luck,

Rob

Dogmai
09-29-2003, 06:17 PM
I have been told that the red sea berlin turbo is quiet. Does anyone have an opinion on it?

Thanks,
Mike.

robbyville
09-29-2003, 10:11 PM
I have seen them but have no first hand experience, however they do seem to take up a lot of space behind the tank.

robbyville
09-29-2003, 10:21 PM
Here's a helpful link on the excaliber if you like.

Good luck,

Rob

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=246570&perpage=25&highlight=excalibur%20skimmer&pagenumber=1

imported_C&C
09-30-2003, 03:53 PM
I personally own and have been using a Berlin Turbo skimmer for about 18 months. It seems to be very reliable with a min of maintance. About the sound level, as long as you run the air intake tube into the canopy of your tank it is very quiet. Make sure that the tube can't fall into the water as this will shut off the air supply for it and cause your skmmer to go crazy.

Chris