PDA

View Full Version : An interesting creature!!

edikpok
02-03-2010, 02:23 AM
What is it??? Never heard of feather stars before!

wouldn't you want to have one of these???

http://video.msn.com/video.aspx?mkt=en-ca&vid=4267283a-454c-4cdf-8258-64bdfc0a2284&from=imbot_en-ca_m2534&fg=rss

globaldesigns
02-03-2010, 02:27 AM
Now that is cool!!!

I would love one, but it looks like a type of wierd and colourful jellyfish. It probably isn't, but it does look delicate and would probably need its own tank.

purplepolypeater
02-03-2010, 02:33 AM
feather stars dont fare well in captivity many have tried and failed they are beautiful though. maybe one day there will be a breakthrough in the care of these and it will be possible. it wasnt long ago that sps was also near impossible

mseepman
02-03-2010, 03:37 AM
I can speak from experience. I had one as my local LFS brought in about 6 or 8. All kinds of colors and amazingly beautiful. The problem is that no-one knows what they really eat. They just slowly (over about a month) die and fall apart in your tank. I tried everything I could think of...everything any forum could suggest but nothing worked. I know where most of those that the LFS brought in went and all of them died.

Any LFS that brings these in is not being responsible at all. I made sure my LFS got to know what I learned.

That video looks like the person probably just got the feather star so it's still pretty healthy.

Sad but true.:sad:

noirsphynx
02-03-2010, 03:55 AM
There's a thread I'm following on NR (http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=221080) with several feather stars. This guy has been successful with them except the reds.

whatcaneyedo
02-03-2010, 04:23 AM
I've seen them for sale in two LFS... one seemed to eventually learn that no one in our area was committed enough to look after them. The other place probably still trys to sell them.

They are pretty amazing to watch though. Maybe in another 10 years there will be a widespread understanding of what they need to survive in our tanks.