PDA

View Full Version : Go

imcosmokramer
02-02-2010, 06:32 PM
check this out

clownfish feeding a damsel to an anemone (http://reeftools.com/news/clownfish-feeding-an-anemone/)
________
Los Angeles Dispensary (http://dispensaries.org/)

Chase31
02-02-2010, 06:41 PM
took me a sec to really see that, thats cool

Delphinus
02-02-2010, 06:50 PM
Bit of a strange video? For one, don't really see much of a feeding response? Although it must be shooting out nematocysts like crazy, the damsel looks torched by the end. The actual act of the fish being pulled into the anemone is over in the first second and then it's two minutes of the damsel just sitting there dieing. We don't see anything leading up to the moment and it makes me wonder how healthy the damsel was beforehand to just be delicately pulled into a bleached sebae and then just lay down and die without seeing any feeding response in the anemone itself.

Plus the setting is totally unnatural looking with the bubblers in the background. :lol:

Does show that clarkii's can be mean little SOB's though!

rstar
02-02-2010, 07:33 PM
I wish i could borrow that clowfish!! J/K But seriously I made the mistake of buying a damsel like 3 years ago and have been trying for 2.5 years to get it out of my tank, he's smart as a whip and fast too, and extremely territorial! I would tend to agree that the damsel in the video was likely not doing to well to begin with.

NuraNori
02-02-2010, 07:43 PM
Our Clarkii brings his BTA pieces of nori and larger chunks of plankton or mysis. It's really cute :biggrin:

imcosmokramer
02-02-2010, 08:14 PM
i had to put a 3 line in a frag tank. within a 3 days it killed a clown and both my banggais
________
affair Cam (http://www.girlcamfriend.com/webcam/housewives/)

untamed
02-02-2010, 09:48 PM
That is an odd video. I can't see how any healthy damsel would allow itself to get grabbed by the tail like that.

Also...if it were my tank...I might have stopped videoing and tried to do something to save the fish? IMO, this damsel was deliberately added as food and video'd. I suspect that damsel was in pretty bad shape when it was dropped down toward the nem.

rkelman
02-02-2010, 10:53 PM
That Damsel was definitely sick or injured no question. No reason to stop it from happening. It was dead anyways.

Bloodasp
02-02-2010, 10:54 PM
Well clownfish are known to lure other fishes in order to feed its host anemone but it's kinda odd that it grabbed the damsel toward the anemone. Though the damsel looked like it was already dying so the clown might have just decided to grab it and feed it to the anemone anyway.

imcosmokramer
02-02-2010, 11:14 PM
the other thing is, how else do you explain that they were there to catch it on tape? what are the chances?
________
Legal Marijuana Dispensary (http://dispensaries.org/)

rkelman
02-02-2010, 11:15 PM
I agree it looks like the Clownfish fed the anemone. That subject is up for debate though. Who knows really if the fish is feeding the nem or just let go of the food / fish in the nem its not clearcut. I have many anemone's and many clowns and have never witnessed anything that I would call "Feeding" I've seen them drop food but never got the feeling that they were feeding the nem. I'm not saying it doesn't happen. I'm just saying I've never seen it.

rstar
02-03-2010, 12:49 AM
I agree it looks like the Clownfish fed the anemone. That subject is up for debate though. Who knows really if the fish is feeding the nem or just let go of the food / fish in the nem its not clearcut. I have many anemone's and many clowns and have never witnessed anything that I would call "Feeding" I've seen them drop food but never got the feeling that they were feeding the nem. I'm not saying it doesn't happen. I'm just saying I've never seen it.

i Disagree with this, along time ago like 5 years ago i had a clarkii clown, that ALWAYS fed his host. Whenever i fed he would grab a piece of mysis and eat it himself, then go grab another piece and deliberatly spit it into the anemone. From what i have read its only certain speciece of clown that will exhibit this behaviour.

rkelman
02-03-2010, 02:08 AM
You disagree with what? That I haven't seen this happen? I havent.. I have 3 species of clowns totaling about 1500 fish and 8 anemone's (unless you count aiptasia ugh) and have never once seen it. Like I said "I'm not saying it doesn't happen. I'm just saying I've never seen it."

rstar
02-03-2010, 02:49 AM
That subject is up for debate though. Who knows really if the fish is feeding the nem or just let go of the food / fish in the nem its not clearcut. I have many anemone's and many clowns and have never witnessed anything that I would call "Feeding"

Actually thats what you said, and i disagree, to me it looks like it was feeding the anemone. Also just because you have 1500 fish in three species doesn't mean it doesn't happen either, but i digress, i was just comment that i have witnessed it happen on many occasions. But i dont want this to turn into a ****ing match.

rkelman
02-03-2010, 09:50 PM
I know very well what I said.

"That subject is up for debate though." It is. "Who knows really if the fish is feeding the nem or just let go of the food / fish in the nem its not clearcut." True. Its not definitive in the video. "I have many anemone's and many clowns and have never witnessed anything that I would call "Feeding"" Also true. I'm not sure what you disagree with.

I never once said it doesn't happen. I'm not disagreeing with you. I'm saying I've never seen it.

"But i dont want this to turn into a ****ing match."

I'm done. I don't have to go anymore :)

imcosmokramer
02-10-2010, 04:35 AM
I talked to the person who shot the video, bc I had some questions about the health of the nem, the bubbles, etc. Here's the response:

my kids where just taking video because the damsel and the maroon clown kept chasing each other, we didnt expect it to actually kill the damsel. I already got rid of the bubbles and I placed more live rock and few more corals.
________
Nugetka cam (http://camslivesexy.com/cam/nugetka)

Murminator
02-10-2010, 05:03 AM
Cool damsels are good for something :razz:

Funky_Fish14
02-10-2010, 05:42 AM
Lol Murray!

If you watch the first few seconds of the video very closely, the damsel is actually sinking downwards on it's side. You can see it is discoloured too before it even gets put in the anemone. The clownfish grabs the damsel's tail, and it looks like it pulls it down and 'backwards' (relative to the camera's point of view), directly into the anemone... The damsel just continues to 'float along' until it gets stung. Anybody who has ever poked a sick fish while it is just laying there will know that they freak out when disturbed... it looks like that is what the damsel did after it realized the anemone was stinging.

I feel bad for the poor damsel, sucks to get beat up by another clown and then stung to death.

Also, I found it interesting how the maroon clown was watching it happen and how 'cool' the clarkii seemed to be with it's close proximity.

Thanks for sharing,

Chris

imcosmokramer
02-10-2010, 04:24 PM
doesn't it look like it's a clarkii pulling it in though?
________
WASHINGTON DISPENSARIES (http://washington.dispensaries.org/)

Funky_Fish14
02-10-2010, 04:36 PM
I meant 'float along' as in 'bobs along' while the clownfish pulls it in. Like no resistance.

ickmagnet
02-10-2010, 04:42 PM
I have a clownfish that grabs the silverside off of my feeding prong thing and then delivers it to his anemone. Sometimes however, it will snatch the fish out of the anemone and run off with it, dumping it in some hiding spot. Weird.

imcosmokramer
02-10-2010, 04:54 PM
I meant 'float along' as in 'bobs along' while the clownfish pulls it in. Like no resistance.

sorry, I didn't mean that part of your statement. The guy said it was a maroon clownfish, but it looks like a clarkii in the video.
________
SWEETENSPICYXXX (http://www.girlcamfriend.com/cam/SWEETENSPICYXXX/)

Funky_Fish14
02-10-2010, 06:44 PM
If you look closer there is also (what looks like) an occelaris clown swimming around just above the clarkii, it sounds like the (above/unknown) clown was beating up the damsel before the clarkii got at it. I've seen orange maroons, so maybe that is a maroon clown, but it looks more like an occelaris. Has too much black to be a maroon. Maybe the owner of the fish is confused?

I still think its interesting how the two clowns aren't fighting.

imcosmokramer
02-11-2010, 02:33 PM
I still think its interesting how the two clowns aren't fighting.

true...that other clown is just watching..
________
California Dispensary (http://california.dispensaries.org/)