PDA

View Full Version : How much Flow? I need your input

es355lucille
02-01-2010, 09:51 PM
I am running a Vortech MP40 (3200 gph) Tunze 6055 (1500 gph) and a return pump Mag 18 (1800 gph --> actually 1000 gph based on head pressure and piping elbow)
grand total = 5700 gph / 140 display tank = 40.7 turnover rate.

Did I calculate that correct? (sorry Doug you told me.....I think that is how its done)

Ok, so I am reading lots of different articles on flow/gph etc and I am not clear of a target flow rate/is there a target flow rate? I do not have any SPS at this time but would like to make the move to the "dark side" in the future. Suggestions on flow?

I would like to see how much water movement others have in their tanks as I think this is a very important item which I overlooked when starting up. I was thinking the most important was the flow/return through the sump, not the actual flowrate of the powerheads in the main display.

Thanks in advance for everyones input. Brad

globaldesigns
02-01-2010, 10:15 PM
I am running a Vortech MP40 (3200 gph) Tunze 6055 (1500 gph) and a return pump Mag 18 (1800 gph --> actually 1000 gph based on head pressure and piping elbow)
grand total = 5700 gph / 140 display tank = 40.7 turnover rate.

Did I calculate that correct? (sorry Doug you told me.....I think that is how its done)

Ok, so I am reading lots of different articles on flow/gph etc and I am not clear of a target flow rate/is there a target flow rate? I do not have any SPS at this time but would like to make the move to the "dark side" in the future. Suggestions on flow?

I would like to see how much water movement others have in their tanks as I think this is a very important item which I overlooked when starting up. I was thinking the most important was the flow/return through the sump, not the actual flowrate of the powerheads in the main display.

Thanks in advance for everyones input. Brad

Yup your calculations are correct. You will get alot of different views. I have a 180G display with the same return and mp40W also. I also have some Koralias and have about the same turnover as you. Personally I find this good, and if your fish and coral seem happy then you are doing it right.

If you are seeing diatom, cyano and coral that are retracted then you may not have enough flow. Or in the case of the coral, too much flow.

Have fun!!!

es355lucille
02-01-2010, 10:21 PM
Thanks globaldesigns, I am fighting off cyano and just added the Tunze to increase the flow. Most of my corals are mushrooms and zoanthids....no problem as long as the flow is not directed right on them. Fish are estatic and loving the increase in flow.....just not sure if this is enough yet... Thanks for your comments.

Yup your calculations are correct. You will get alot of different views. I have a 180G display with the same return and mp40W also. I also have some Koralias and have about the same turnover as you. Personally I find this good, and if your fish and coral seem happy then you are doing it right.

If you are seeing diatom, cyano and coral that are retracted then you may not have enough flow. Or in the case of the coral, too much flow.

Have fun!!!

e46er
02-02-2010, 12:46 AM
i have a return pump doing 800gph after head loss
a closed loop doing about 1600
a K2 doing 600gph
and 2 k4 doing 1200 each

so a grand total of 5400/120G= 45 times turn over
fish and corals seem to be happy

es355lucille
02-02-2010, 09:55 PM
Thank e46er!!

i have a return pump doing 800gph after head loss
a closed loop doing about 1600
a K2 doing 600gph
and 2 k4 doing 1200 each

so a grand total of 5400/120G= 45 times turn over
fish and corals seem to be happy

RuGlu6
02-02-2010, 10:24 PM
Make sure to understand that return flow to the sump, and internal flow in the display tank are two different things.

You need as much flow in your display tank as you can afford (take a look at coral reef how much flow is there).
As for the return to the sump, you only need as much or even less then your skimmer and other equipment is processing per hour.

HTH

globaldesigns
02-02-2010, 10:46 PM
Make sure to understand that return flow to the sump, and internal flow in the display tank are two different things.

You need as much flow in your display tank as you can afford (take a look at coral reef how much flow is there).
As for the return to the sump, you only need as much or even less then your skimmer and other equipment is processing per hour.

HTH

You are correct, however the return pump in most configurations adds flow to the DT, and therefore is part of your calculations to determine how many times over your interflow of the DT is.

Try to get as much flow as possible for the type of reef you may have. Different corals have different requirements. The coral will usually tell you if things are good or not.

xtreme
02-02-2010, 10:54 PM
Here is a thread from a while back. It'll give you an idea of what people are running. I think 40x is a good place to start. You can increase from there depending on the needs of your corals.

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=48372

RuGlu6
02-03-2010, 12:01 AM
Thanks globaldesigns, I am fighting off cyano and just added the Tunze to increase the flow. Most of my corals are mushrooms and zoanthids....no problem as long as the flow is not directed right on them. Fish are estatic and loving the increase in flow.....just not sure if this is enough yet... Thanks for your comments.

If you want to get rid of cyano get Zeo snow and zeo bak it will help.

Coral Snow neutralizes undesirable acids and is a solution against slime algae and cyano bacteria.
Zeo Bak Contains several bacterial strains that form a chain to reduce unwanted substances improving water quality and clarity.

http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/store_pages/product-info.php?product_ID=zv-csnow02
http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/store_pages/product-info.php?product_ID=zv-bac010

RuGlu6
02-03-2010, 12:03 AM
You are correct, however the return pump in most configurations adds flow to the DT, and therefore is part of your calculations to determine how many times over your interflow of the DT is.

Try to get as much flow as possible for the type of reef you may have. Different corals have different requirements. The coral will usually tell you if things are good or not.

yes , you are correct as well, my point is to understand the difference between the two:smile:

Marlin65
02-03-2010, 12:45 AM
I run a Dart 3200 GPH on a 4 way closed loop for internal but only 600 GPH for my return on my 75 Gal. Had to take my LPS out though they did not like it at all my zoe's don't mind the flow though.