no_bs
02-01-2010, 05:22 PM
http://www.westhawaiitoday.com/articles/2010/01/29/local/local01.txt

christyf5
02-01-2010, 05:41 PM
brutal :neutral:

saltynuts
02-01-2010, 05:44 PM
not good at all. hope they find out who did it.

justinl
02-01-2010, 05:48 PM
I... wow, really? I certainly don't condone such a waste, but this is peanuts compared to what happens in fisheries. Let us look at trawling. 27 million tonnes of bycatch is reported yearly (note: this is just what's reported...). big-ass number I know: that's just short of 74000 tonnes a DAY (about 10,200 full grown male elephants).

...I'll stop here before I get into too much of a rant. I just wanted to put things into perspective.

sphelps
02-01-2010, 05:57 PM
Yes very sad, but unfortunately this kind of stuff probably happens more often than most people in the business or hobby like to admit. I think many of us in the hobby or business tend to lie to everyone including ourselves so much we believe fictional statements like these I found in the article:
This is an isolated incident due to some kind of mistake that rarely happens
Nearly all fish collected arrive to the hobbyist alive.
Fish collectors love the ocean and the fish. This is why we all got into the fish business
I call BS, if such an incident can occur somewhere like Hawaii, which is suppose to have better regulation and control, imagine what goes on in the other countries most our fish come from. That last statement may be true for many wholesalers here in NA but I don't think it applies to most collectors which is most likely the biggest problem area.

dsaundry
02-01-2010, 07:18 PM
What a shame, but if I remember correctly Hawaii has a very strict protection policy regarding their reefs and surrounding area's. So hopefully someone will be caught. I agree it may not be a massive fish kill like what happens in the oceans, just look at swordfish and tune for an example, but sad none the less.

BlueWorldAquatic
02-01-2010, 07:44 PM
You know what? I think I have more issues with Hawaiian suppliers with shipping issues and cyanide than others overseas. So fish collectors "loving" the ocean is not entirely correct.

In this industry you have to be carefull what stock and were you get it.

Think about this, in countries where the costs of living are much lower they seem to care more about their livestock.

Do you actually think there are many fisherman in NA willing to net a fish for little money? I highly doubt it. There are some though.

Just my opinion.

Ken

whatcaneyedo
02-01-2010, 08:03 PM
I found the comments below the article to be more shocking than the article itself.

JDigital
02-01-2010, 10:21 PM
:sad: ... That is a LOT of yellow tangs..

fishoholic
02-02-2010, 03:00 AM
Very sad :sad:

chilumba
02-02-2010, 03:21 AM
OMG what is wrong with some people! The hawaiian reefs are already depleted of fish and coral. That is a lot of dead fish. I hope the people get jail time and a huge fine! These fish are also dead because of the people who wanted them. This is also just a small percentage of dead yellow tangs every year because of 200,000 yellow tangs caught a lot of them die. So there is a lot more dead fish than we see or hear about. We really should not be supporting the capture of fish from any place that has depleted fish and coral populations.

Bugsy
02-02-2010, 03:38 AM
This is very sad indeed.

My husband and I go to Waikiki every year and have been doing this for quite some time now. We just returned 4 weeks ago and on our time on the beach we would sit and watch the locals go out on the wall of the beach, they take their pails, nets etc out there and catch all sorts of fish.

My husband was out near them but on this side of the wall as it to rough on the other side where they fish. He wanted to know what they all catch out there. The biggest thing is eels, my lord do they ever catch eels by the dozens. Triggers, Tangs, and everything inbetween what ever they can catch. They claim this is their food for eating but wow the amount they catch is unreal.

This goes on day after day after day. No one seems to be concerned in Waikiki about them doing this and so it continues.

We went to Haunuma Bay last year only to be so disappointed, there is no corals anywhere and very little colorful fish out there. Just some blue colored tangs and that is about it. Very sad but the Hawaiin reefs in my opinion are just about depleted of what they use to have many years ago.

chilumba
02-02-2010, 03:42 AM
If you want to help stop collection of hawaiian fish sign this petition! http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/reef-fish-arent-ornaments

RuGlu6
02-02-2010, 04:12 AM
If we would care about the fish we would NOT buy any fish at all, and when there is no demand there will be no supply,
It's that simple, and no need to sign a petition when our tanks are full of fish...

naesco
02-02-2010, 04:31 AM
The person who did this must be prosecuted to the fullest extent.

The problem in Hawaii is not the yellow tangs but the fact that lfs are importing cheap little ones that arrive here totally emaciated.
In addition loser lFS still bring in Hawaiian cleaner wrasse and Moorish Idol that have no chance of success in hobbyist's tanks.

We as reefers can stop the above practices by simply avoiding these LFS and letting them know that these practices are not ethical and that they should not be importing these fish any longer.

saltcreep
02-02-2010, 09:56 PM
OMG what is wrong with some people! The hawaiian reefs are already depleted of fish and coral. That is a lot of dead fish. I hope the people get jail time and a huge fine! These fish are also dead because of the people who wanted them. This is also just a small percentage of dead yellow tangs every year because of 200,000 yellow tangs caught a lot of them die. So there is a lot more dead fish than we see or hear about. We really should not be supporting the capture of fish from any place that has depleted fish and coral populations.

Do you have a tank with fish and/or corals? If so, I would be willing to bet that you are supporting some sort of destructive fishing practice.

I don't quite get the "moral outrage" that people seem to be exhibiting, especially from hobbyists.

There is no reason or proof as to the cause of the death of these fish. If the reason was a system failure or disease outbreak, why is this different than the same thing happening in a hobbyists tank? Once a fish is removed from the reef, there is 100% mortality.

It is a shame that it has happened and will only be a black eye for the hobby/industry.

RuGlu6
02-02-2010, 10:15 PM
Do you have a tank with fish and/or corals? If so, I would be willing to bet that you are supporting some sort of destructive fishing practice.

I don't quite get the "moral outrage" that people seem to be exhibiting, especially from hobbyists.

There is no reason or proof as to the cause of the death of these fish. If the reason was a system failure or disease outbreak, why is this different than the same thing happening in a hobbyists tank? Once a fish is removed from the reef, there is 100% mortality.

It is a shame that it has happened and will only be a black eye for the hobby/industry.
x2 my point exactly !
Even if we only support farmed (tank raised) still that fish does not have a choice it would rather live out on the reef then in our tanks.
The reason for dead fish is us, we are supporting it that's why it happend and it will hapen again until we are willing to pay for it.

chilumba
02-03-2010, 03:53 AM

No, I don't have a tank or support any destructive fishing. I don't even like to eat fish.