PDA

View Full Version : What's with regal tangs and Blue ring angels?

fishoholic
02-01-2010, 04:00 PM
For some reason my regal tang is not impressed with my blue ring angel.

My king was picking on my blue ring in the summer so we re-homed him to Steve's Dad's 80g tank. Of course now he has outgrown the 80g so I took him back and added him to the reef tank. But for some reason my regal tang was picking on him. It seemed to settle down after the lights went out so I hope it gets better, but why the regal hates the blue ring...I just don't get it.

I had a different regal tang and a blue ring angel together before and it was the same thing, the regal hated and picked on the blue ring. Anyone know why?

Anyone else notice other types of fish that you'd think would get along but don't.

naesco
02-01-2010, 10:13 PM
For some reason my regal tang is not impressed with my blue ring angel.

My king was picking on my blue ring in the summer so we re-homed him to Steve's Dad's 80g tank. Of course now he has outgrown the 80g so I took him back and added him to the reef tank. But for some reason my regal tang was picking on him. It seemed to settle down after the lights went out so I hope it gets better, but why the regal hates the blue ring...I just don't get it.

I had a different regal tang and a blue ring angel together before and it was the same thing, the regal hated and picked on the blue ring. Anyone know why?

Anyone else notice other types of fish that you'd think would get along but don't.

Let me take a stab at it.

We have all purchased a fish to find out that the odd one go and cower into a corner of the tank or in the rocks. In some cases the reason is obvious. Size or particularly aggressive species. In other cases it is simply the nature of the fish. It had problems living with the King and is now cowering to the Regal tang.
The only solution is to get yourself a really, really big tank so there is more separtion. Your tank as large as it is only barely meets the minimum requirements of 300 gallons necessary for angels.
The other solution is to re-home the problem fish.

fishoholic
02-02-2010, 02:51 AM
It's just odd (to me) that a tang would hate an angel so much. I get an angel fish picking on an angel fish but a tang picking on an angel? I just don't get it.

I found a home for the Blue ring (Regal tang is really hard to catch and a friend of mine who has a large tank and he said he would take the blue ring) unfortunately the blue ring is proving tricky to catch even though he pretty much stays in the front corner of the tank. I'm hoping when he's asleep we'll be able to catch him.

naesco
02-02-2010, 03:08 AM
Yes it is best to bite the bullit and do what is necessary to keep peace in the tank.
Stressed fish and critters create havoc and potential major illness in a tank so it is best to deal with the problem rather than ignore it.
Couldn't talk hubby in to a 600gal eh?

fishoholic
02-02-2010, 03:29 AM
Yes it is best to bite the bullit and do what is necessary to keep peace in the tank.
Stressed fish and critters create havoc and potential major illness in a tank so it is best to deal with the problem rather than ignore it.
Couldn't talk hubby in to a 600gal eh?

:lol: I wish he'd let me get a 600+gal tank. My ideal tank would be 10 feet long, 4 feet wide and 2 & 1/2 feet high. Unfortunately due to lack of funds (I'm sure with enough funds I could find space in my living room, I'd just need to get the floors re-enforced) but unfortunately my (semi-realistic) dream tank wont be happening any time soon :sad:

I hate it when fish fight, I'm kicking my own a$$ for putting the blue ring in my reef tank. Steve's Dad told me that the blue ring was having trouble getting behind the rocks in his tank and finding space to swim in his 80g so I thought I'd take him back and it would be fine. We didn't put the blue ring in the reef to start off with because we didn't want him eating the corals, but since he left all the corals alone in Steve's Dad's tank I thought everything would be fine. I really didn't think the regal tang would be so mean, after all the regal totally ignored the emperor when I put him in on Sat. Hopefully we'll be able to catch the blue ring and he'll do well in my friends larger tank.