PDA

View Full Version : Riceboy's 8.9 gallon set up

riceboy
02-01-2010, 02:43 PM
Well its been 2 years since my last tank was sold, due to work and school. Now I'm back at it again lol.:biggrin:Lets see if i can manage my time between working 2 jobs and working on my car project and this newer 8.9 gallon project.

Well here are the specs of my tank.

Equipment
8.9 gallon aquagiant tank running carbon in the back compartment.
225 led retro fitted into the hood ( all my old systems got toasted by mh so decided to go a different route)
100w heater
sieo m820 power head (probably will have to get a 1200 gph since i love high flow)
5 blue led moonlight
light timer
digital thermometer
Salinity 1.021~
temperature 26.1 degree celcius ~ 78 degree F

Livestock:
10 lbs of live rock
1 cleaner shrimp
1 frag of gsp

Future plans: (if led are good enough)

frog spawn
dandrilphilia (favorite coral)
corcea clam
pulsing xenia
zoos (as many as i can find lol)
purple mushroom
red mushroom
green hairy mushroom
rics
blasto
pair of percular clowns
yellow watchman goby
coral banded shrimp
turbo snails
maybe a box fish lol just for kicks

riceboy
02-01-2010, 02:45 PM
pics to come

TheKid
02-01-2010, 03:13 PM
I thought u can't keep boxfish, cow fish, or puffers with coral?

Well its been 2 years since my last tank was sold, due to work and school. Now I'm back at it again lol.:biggrin:Lets see if i can manage my time between working 2 jobs and working on my car project and this newer 8.9 gallon project.

Well here are the specs of my tank.

Equipment
8.9 gallon aquagiant tank running carbon in the back compartment.
225 led retro fitted into the hood ( all my old systems got toasted by mh so decided to go a different route)
100w heater
sieo m820 power head (probably will have to get a 1200 gph since i love high flow)
5 blue led moonlight
light timer
digital thermometer
Salinity 1.021~
temperature 26.1 degree celcius ~ 78 degree F

Livestock:
10 lbs of live rock
1 cleaner shrimp
1 frag of gsp

Future plans: (if led are good enough)

frog spawn
dandrilphilia (favorite coral)
corcea clam
pulsing xenia
zoos (as many as i can find lol)
purple mushroom
red mushroom
green hairy mushroom
rics
blasto
pair of percular clowns
yellow watchman goby
coral banded shrimp
turbo snails
maybe a box fish lol just for kicks

riceboy
02-01-2010, 03:59 PM
i've read that you can keep them with corals as long as you keep them fed really well

freezetyle
02-01-2010, 11:30 PM
I probably wouldn't get a box fish either. it would outgrow that tank in about a week.

riceboy
02-02-2010, 05:12 AM
alright here are pics of the start up right now

http://s569.photobucket.com/albums/ss137/riceboy669/?action=view&current=985c7bc4.jpg&newest=1
http://s569.photobucket.com/albums/ss137/riceboy669/?action=view&current=1c7318c7.jpg&newest=1

sorry pics are pretty bad since i took it with my iphone

riceboy
02-07-2010, 04:08 AM
alright so its been a week since i added some livestock and everything is showing great signs the digita is showing great color and small polyps are showing, same with the monti caps, zoos are extremly happy:lol: and i got my favorite coral from red coral.

here are some pics:

http://s569.photobucket.com/albums/ss137/riceboy669/?action=view&current=dcfcacb8.jpg&newest=1

riceboy
02-08-2010, 04:31 PM
Well heres an update of my system, i had a huge scare on friday night when my digital thermometer was telling my temperature had spiked to 33 degrees celcius, but just turned out that the thermometer was going screwy(went to golds and bought a new one 27 degrees celcius :smile:) anyways i just added a oddysea 550gph power head to the system (thanks kevin from red coral), so all and all i have 1350 gph plus the fuge thats in the back pumping in my 8.9 gallon tank. I have also added a lot of corals to my tank thanks to everyone giving me a good deal on the stuff (calgary's saltwater community are so friendly) anyways heres my livestock that are in there right now.

livestock:
Frogspawn huge colony (thanks parkinsn)
blue crocea clam (thanks parkinsn)
green digita(thanks xtreme)
orange monticap (thanks xtreme)
birds nest (thanks xtreme)
zoo frag (thanks fragzilla)
zoo frag (thanks kevin (redcoral))
dandrophelia (thanks kevin (redcoral))
neon red mushroom frag(thanks bluetoyota)
purple monticap (thanks bluetoyota)
green monticap (thanks bluetoyota)
reverse superman monticap (thanks bluetoyota)
green bta (thanks vagabond)
gsp (thanks kien)
2 clown fish (thanks golds)
1 blue damsel (thanks golds)

now to watch everything grow:mrgreen:, and water changes every week lol, also everything is doing very well dandros are so fat from eating mysis, and never new monticaps had little polyps that sprout out lol (you learn something everyday), now all i need to do is invest in a dslr so i can take better pics of growth rather than use my iphone

riceboy
02-08-2010, 04:34 PM
and looks like i won't be getting a box fish since further reading say they are pigs and will chow down on all corals :lol: note to self never doubt anyone on canreef :lol:

Pufferfreak
02-10-2010, 01:29 AM
I don't mean to sound rude as this is my first post. Am I correct in reading that you have all that stock in a tank that's under 9 gallons? A GSP should be in a minimum 30 gallons. I have mine in a 25 gallon for now as he's still a baby.

Kryptic4L
02-10-2010, 02:29 AM
I don't mean to sound rude as this is my first post. Am I correct in reading that you have all that stock in a tank that's under 9 gallons? A GSP should be in a minimum 30 gallons. I have mine in a 25 gallon for now as he's still a baby.

Green star polyps, not green spotted puffer. Welcome to the reef forums :)

Pufferfreak
02-10-2010, 02:34 AM
I'm so sorry for that mistake. I'm pretty embarrassed now so I'll go stick my head back in the sand.:redface:

Thanks for the welcome all the same.

riceboy
02-11-2010, 04:12 PM
lol no worries, welcome to canreef.

anyways i have been getting temperature fluctuation for a about 3 days now and couldn't figure out why. it was fluctuating between 28-31 degrees celcius which really hot. well i found the culpret last night it was the new power head i bought (never buy the odyssea power head thier cheap for a reason) as soon as i took it out and replaced it with a koralia 1 less flow the temperature drastically changed down to the 26 degrees celcius range.

****NEVER CHEAP OUT ON YOUR EQUIPMENT ***************

Fragzilla
02-11-2010, 06:24 PM
Looking good riceboy!

I will be looking for the updated pics as they come. The zoas opened up real nice I see!

riceboy
02-11-2010, 08:17 PM
thanks Jeff, i will be posting more pics once everything is happy, (once the temperature is down and stays cool) could invest in a better camera to, there are limitations to the iphone lol

Pufferfreak
02-12-2010, 12:51 AM
Thanks riceboy.:smile:

riceboy
02-16-2010, 07:13 PM
well i guess fate has done it again my tank once again crashed from excess heat.:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

i went home for lunch today and found my tank at 34 degree celcius..

i found the cause of the heat increase was that a piece of rubble had fallen into my power head and the spindle wouldn't spin, therefore sky rocketing my tempurature..

looks like i'm back at square 1 again:sad::sad::sad::sad::sad::sad:

Crytone
02-16-2010, 09:57 PM
That sucks! Hopefully everything works out this time. Did anything survive?

riceboy
02-16-2010, 11:05 PM
Not sure yet haven't gotten of work yet

Fragzilla
02-17-2010, 12:11 AM
If the zoa you got from me died as a resul of this let me know and I will donate another one to you.

Just let me know when you want to stop by

Jeff