PDA

View Full Version : blue ribbon eel

burgerchow
01-31-2010, 02:06 AM
Anybody got one? How hard was it to get it to feed? My local lfs has one that they'll let go for $20 cause it's not eating. I"m thinking of putting it into my fowlr tank with my humu humu, but if it won't eat at the lfs, what chance would I have of getting it to eat. It's a beautiful fish, but I've never heard of anybody managing to keep one alive for very long.

justinl
01-31-2010, 02:28 AM
your chance is just about zero. especially with such a... robust feeder as a trigger as a tankmate. I know of one successful long term case in the states; just one.

my only suggestion is to go back to your lfs and give them a good reprimand for trying to sell off a creature that is so highly likely doomed to die. it's beautiful, but definitely one species that should be left in the ocean.

burgerchow
01-31-2010, 02:59 AM
That's what I think as well. Basically, they've given up on it, that's why they offered it for only $20. I'm thinking Hmmmm.. Dieing in their tank, or in my tank. Even if I had a 10% chance of keeping it alive, I'd take it home. At least I could take some pictures of it in my tank and say that I had one. lol

fishoholic
01-31-2010, 03:59 AM
If you do take it home make sure you have a tight fitting lid. The one at the LFS here escaped from a 1/4 inch hole in their tank.

Chase31
01-31-2010, 04:46 AM
If you do take it home make sure you have a tight fitting lid. The one at the LFS here escaped from a 1/4 inch hole in their tank.

dont think ill be getting an eel, knowing that and they creep me out in the first place

naesco
01-31-2010, 04:53 PM
your chance is just about zero. especially with such a... robust feeder as a trigger as a tankmate. I know of one successful long term case in the states; just one.

my only suggestion is to go back to your lfs and give them a good reprimand for trying to sell off a creature that is so highly likely doomed to die. it's beautiful, but definitely one species that should be left in the ocean.

I agree with you 100%.

LFS should not be importing critters like this.

If a reefer for some reason wants one they can special order it.

burgerchow
01-31-2010, 10:28 PM
I agree with you 100%.

LFS should not be importing critters like this.

If a reefer for some reason wants one they can special order it.

Hey Naesco,

How goes? Did you set up your new tank yet?

naesco
02-01-2010, 12:13 AM
Hey Naesco,

How goes? Did you set up your new tank yet?

Just moved in to our new place. I am checking this board for a tank and researching LED lighting.
All is well