PDA

View Full Version : Plumbing Help !!!!

scar_11
01-30-2010, 10:18 PM
I am going to drill my tank maybe tomorrow and I just want some advise from the experts.

I have 2.. inch and a half bulk head I was going to use for the overflow. one has a strainer that screws in. I was planning on using it in my over flow box That I have. The other I was planning on having a 90 in the tank turned up just about the water line incase my one line plugs.

I have 1... 3/4 inch with flexy house I was going to use this as my return line from the sump

Where should I mount the Over flow box and where should I mount the return line?
Should I get another 3/4 and have 2 return lines?

I have pictures of all my stuff I will post any advice would be great
Thanks

Overflow Box 6x6x6
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i223/scar11/Fish/P1300004.jpg
Overflow box and bulkheads
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i223/scar11/Fish/P1300006.jpg
Standard 90 gallon tank
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i223/scar11/Fish/P1300008.jpg

hillegom
01-31-2010, 12:18 AM
You need to replace the rum, not enough for both of us

mark
01-31-2010, 12:19 AM
no expert but 2 drains, a Herbie? Strainer not needed in a overflow. What's your plan for stocking re:total flow wanted, also all flow from your return pump or planning on power heads also?

scar_11
01-31-2010, 03:53 AM
no expert but 2 drains, a Herbie? Strainer not needed in a overflow. What's your plan for stocking re:total flow wanted, also all flow from your return pump or planning on power heads also?

I was planing on a power head also. Not 100% on what the stock will be but I would like a mix of hard and soft corals. I was thinking a herbie but the tank is in the basement in my bar so I will not hear it if I am not at the bar.

scar_11
01-31-2010, 07:01 PM
any help

Albertan22
01-31-2010, 07:22 PM
I am far from an expert, I only set up my first tank 6 months ago. However, I would suggest that if your tank is going to be placed in a corner, put the overflow box in the corner that will be against the walls for aesthetic reasons.

One issue that I'm starting to have with my tank is that the teeth on my overflow get algae growing between them after about a month. If I'm not diligent in cleaning it out, the water level in the tank gets about a 1/2 inch higher than normal, so that it's about level with the top of the teeth. You'll want to consider that when deciding how high to mount your overflow box. Depending on your flow, the water level will probably sit about half way up the teeth of your overflow box. You probably want the water level to be just at the bottom of your trim, so you don't see that ugly water line, but you still have some room for the level to rise if your overflow teeth plug up a little over time.

As for the return, you might consider just running a pipe over the top, or drilling it as close to the top as you safely can. You'll want the at least a portion of your return pipe to be above the bottom of the teeth in your overflow box so that you can put some anti-siphon holes in the line. These holes will also need to point, or at least angle, downwards or you'll have a fountain on your hands. If you don't get it shallow enough for anti-siphon holes, you'll need to install some kind of backflow prevention valve, which can be unreliable and need to be properly maintained.

Hope this helps, again, I'm far from an expert so maybe someone more knowlegeable will chime in.