PDA

View Full Version : Question about cleaning the sump and fuge

my2rotties
01-30-2010, 03:25 AM
I have been wanting to remove all the live rock in both the sump and the fuge and siphon the sand. Is it alright to do this, and is it recommended? The tank has been running for over a year and I have never touched the sand beds in the fuge and sump for cleaning. Thanks in advance.

Marlin65
01-30-2010, 03:55 AM
Depends on what it looks like a little cleaning is okay.
I would not stir it up too much though we need more info how deep etc a few pictures will help?

my2rotties
01-30-2010, 04:00 AM
The sand bed is about 5-5' thick. I can't take a picture of it unfortunately. I was going to place all the live rock in a rubbermaid, and carefully siphon all the sand gently. It looks pretty filthy but maybe it is best not to touch it. I did all the sand in the display and figured I should do everything.

Marlin65
01-30-2010, 04:10 AM
I would only do the top layer not the whole thing 5+ inches is a lot you could have a problem disturbing that much. If you have good flow it should take care of itself. Just clean the top one inch and leave the rest.
That is just my 2 cents though as you know everyone has their own opinion in this hobby.:wink:

my2rotties
01-30-2010, 04:15 AM
I really appreciate the answer. I know what a mess I could make disturbing the sand bed as it is. We cleaned the overflows today which blasted water, detritus, aiptasia and other gross stuff into the sump in the basement below. Its a pretty nasty mess.

I think your advise is very good and sound and I will do that tomorrow.